Oshkosh Area School District elections (2014)
Method of election
Oshkosh Area School District
Winnebago County, Wisconsin ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Wisconsin
Due to a vacancy on the board, the third seat up for election was for a one-year unexpired term. Garner, as the third place winner, was elected to the one-year term, while Herzog and Lemberger won regular three-year terms.
About the district
- See also: Oshkosh Area School District, Wisconsin
Oshkosh underperformed in comparison to the rest of Wisconsin in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 22.6% of Oshkosh residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.4% for Wisconsin as a whole. The median household income in Oshkosh was $42,938 compared to $52,627 for the state of Wisconsin. The poverty rate in Oshkosh was 17.8% compared to 12.5% for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
Method of board member selection
The Oshkosh Board of Education consists of seven members elected at-large to three-year terms. There was no primary election and the general election was held on April 1, 2014. Two seats will be up for election in 2015 and two seats will be on the ballot in 2016.
Candidates for the Board of Education must be 18 years old, citizens of the United States and residents of the district at least 10 days before the election. Each candidate submitted at least 100 valid signatures to the Winnebago County Clerk by January 7, 2014.
- Allison Garner one-year term
- Graduate, University of Oklahoma and University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
- Chemical engineer, TTC Labs, Inc.
- Barbara Herzog three-year term
- Graduate, University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh and University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Program coordinator, University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
- John Lemberger three-year term
- Assistant professor, University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
Note: The third seat up for election in 2014 was for the remainder of an unexpired term. The third place winner, therefore, earned a one-year term, while the first and second place won regular three-year terms.
|Oshkosh Area School District,
At-Large General Election, 3-year & 1-year terms, 2014
|Nonpartisan||Barbara Herzog (3-year) Incumbent||35.2%||7,449|
|Nonpartisan||John Lemberger (3-year) Incumbent||31.9%||6,746|
|Nonpartisan||Allison Garner (1-year) Incumbent||31.6%||6,676|
|Source: Winnebago County Clerk, "Election Results," April 1, 2014|
No candidate received an endorsement in this election.
As of February 7, 2014, no candidate filed a campaign finance report with the district office. State law allows candidates to claim exempt status from campaign finance reporting if contributions and expenditures do not exceed $1,000 during a calendar year.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
|December 1, 2013||First day to circulate nominating petitions|
|January 7, 2014||Last day to submit nominating petitions to county clerk|
|March 24, 2014||Last day to file pre-election campaign finance report|
|April 1, 2014||Election day|
|July 21, 2014||Last day to file continuing campaign finance report|
Additional elections on the ballot
The Oshkosh Board of Education election shared the ballot with other local and county races. Residents of Oshkosh voted for six seats on the Common Council. The ballot also included 36 seats on the Winnebago County Board of Supervisors.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Oshkosh + Area + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- School board elections in Alaska and Wisconsin spark debates over budgets, academic performance
- Incumbents dominate school board elections in Alaska, Wisconsin
- Oshkosh Area School District, Wisconsin
- Wisconsin school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Winnebago County, Wisconsin ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Wisconsin
- United States Census Bureau, "Oshkosh, Wisconsin," accessed February 5, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Election Results," accessed February 5, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Oshkosh Area School District, "Policies," accessed February 5, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Ballot Access Checklist," accessed January 24, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Campaign Finance Overview: Local Candidates," May 2010
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Campaign Finance Checklist," accessed February 7, 2014
- Jeff Bollier, The Northwestern, "Few contested races this spring for local government seats," January 7, 2014
|2014 Oshkosh Area School District Elections|
|Election date:||April 1, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Allison Garner • Barbara Herzog • John Lemberger|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|