Parkway Schools elections (2014)
Method of election
What was at stake?
St. Louis County, Missouri ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Missouri
Three seats on the Parkway Schools school board were up for general election on April 8, 2014. Incumbents Chris Jacob, Dee Mogerman and newcomer Deborah Hopper defeated challengers Tim Sauer and Wade R. Wieser for the three at-large seats.
About the district
- See also: Parkway Schools, Missouri
St. Louis County outperforms the rest of Missouri in terms of higher education attainment, median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 39.8% of St. Louis County residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 25.8% rate for the state of Missouri. St. Louis County had a median income of $58,485 in 2010 compared to $47,333 for Missouri. The poverty rate for St. Louis County was 8.3% in 2010 compared to a 10.5% rate for the rest of the state.
|Racial Demographics, 2010|
|Race||St. Louis County (%)||Missouri (%)|
|Black or African American||23.6||11.6|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||0.2||0.5|
|Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander||0.1||0.1|
|Two or More Races||1.8||2.1|
|Hispanic or Latino||2.7||3.5|
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Parkway school board consists of seven members elected at-large to three-year terms. There was no primary election and the general election was held on April 8, 2014 for three seats. Two seats will be on the ballot in 2015.
Candidates began to file affidavits of candidacy on December 17, 2013. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was January 21, 2014 and the deadline for candidate certification was January 28, 2014.
- Deborah Hopper
- Graduate, Washington University
- Administrative Director of Research Operations, Washington University School of Medicine
- Chris Jacob
- Graduate, University of Houston
- Retired, former businessman
- Dee Mogerman
- Incumbent and Board Vice President
- Graduate, Drake University
- Office administrator, Zerman Mogerman LLC
- Wade R. Wieser
- Graduate, Washington University’s School of Law
- Captain, Army Reserve
- Tim Sauer
- Customer service, AT&T
- Community volunteer
|Parkway Schools, At-Large General Election, 3-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Chris Jacob Incumbent||23.7%||4,370|
|Nonpartisan||Dee Mogerman Incumbent||22%||4,048|
|Nonpartisan||Wade R. Wieser||15.3%||2,813|
|Source: St. Louis County, Missouri, "General Municipal Election Official Results," accessed June 20, 2014|
No candidate filed a campaign finance report with the Missouri Ethics Commission in this election.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
What was at stake?
Three seats on the Parkway Schools school board were up for general election on April 8, 2014. Incumbents Chris Jacob, Dee Mogerman and newcomer Deborah Hopper defeated challengers Tim Sauer and Wade R. Wieser for the three at-large seats. Incumbent Bruce Major did not file for re-election of his seat.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Parkway Schools election in 2014:
|December 17, 2013||First day for candidate filing|
|December 24, 2013||First day for candidate filing (Kansas City)|
|January 21, 2014||Last day for candidate filing|
|January 28, 2014||Final certification date|
|March 12, 2014||Last day to register to vote|
|April 8, 2014||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
The Parkway school board election shared the ballot with other municipal elections in St. Louis County.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Parkway + Schools + Missouri"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Parkway Schools, Missouri
- Missouri school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- St. Louis County, Missouri ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Missouri
- Election preview: More than 100 candidates running in California, Missouri and South Dakota school board elections
- Post-election:Incumbents fare well in Missouri, South Dakota and California school board elections
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: St. Louis County," accessed February 3, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Missouri Secretary of State, "2014 Election Calendar," accessed February 6, 2014
- Missouri National Education Administration, "Recommendations," accessed April 9, 2014
- Missouri Ethics Commission, "Campaign Finance Reports," accessed February 6, 2014
|2014 Parkway Schools Elections|
|St. Louis County, Missouri|
|Election date:||April 8, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: Deborah Hopper • Incumbent, Chris Jacob • Incumbent, Dee Mogerman • Tim Sauer • Wade R. Wieser|
|Important information:||What was at stake? • Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|