Passaic Public Schools elections (2014)
Method of election
Passaic Public Schools
Passaic County, New Jersey ballot measures
Local ballot measures, New Jersey
Three seats on the Passaic Public Schools Board of Education were up for general election on April 23, 2014. Incumbent board members Horacio Carrera, Kenia Flores and Richard Diaz won re-election against one challenger, Rene L. Griggs. The three incumbents created a joint candidates committee to run as a slate.
About the district
- See also: Passaic Public Schools, New Jersey
Passaic County outperformed the rest of New Jersey in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 25.8 percent of Passaic County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 35.4 percent for New Jersey as a whole. The median household income in Passaic County was $57,540 compared to $71,637 for the state of New Jersey. The poverty rate in Passaic County was 15.8 percent compared to 9.9 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin rather than a race. Citizens may report both their race and their place of origin, and as a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table may exceed 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Passaic Board of Education consists of nine members elected to three-year terms at-large by the district as a whole. There was no primary election, and the general election was held on April 23, 2014. Three seats were up for election in 2014 and three seats will be up for election in 2015.
The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was March 4, 2014 and the deadline to amend a petition or withdraw was March 10, 2014.
- Horacio "Ray" Carrera
- Loan originator
- Kenia Flores
- Graduate, St. Peter’s University and Fairfield University
- School psychologist, Elizabeth Public Schools
|Passaic Public Schools, At-Large General Election, 3-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Richard Diaz Incumbent||32.5%||1,317|
|Nonpartisan||Kenia Flores Incumbent||24.3%||982|
|Nonpartisan||Horacio "Ray" Carrera Incumbent||22.3%||904|
|Nonpartisan||Rene L. Griggs||20%||811|
|Source: Passaic County, New Jersey, "April 23, 2014 Summary Report," accessed June 11, 2014|
No candidates received endorsements for their campaigns.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Passaic Public Schools election in 2014:
|March 4, 2014||Last day to file nominating petitions|
|March 10, 2014||Last day to withdraw or amend a nomination petition|
|March 13, 2014||Drawing of names for candidate positions on the ballot|
|March 26, 2014||Last day to file first campaign finance report|
|April 14, 2014||Last day to file second campaign finance report|
|April 23, 2014||Election day|
|May 13, 2014||Last day to file final campaign finance report|
Additional elections on the ballot
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Passaic + Public + Schools + New + Jersey"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- New Jersey
- Passaic Public Schools, New Jersey
- New Jersey school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Passaic County, New Jersey ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, New Jersey
- Brawling in Newark headlines New Jersey school board elections
- Slates, incumbents prevail in New Jersey school board elections
- Passaic Public Schools, "Candidates for the Annual School Election," accessed March 17, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Passaic County, New Jersey," accessed February 24, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- State of New Jersey - Department of State, "Statewide Voter Registration Summary," September 24, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
- Passaic Public Schools, "Public Notice," accessed February 24, 2014
- Edison Township Public Schools, "Nominating Petition for Annual School Election," accessed February 18, 2014
- New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission, "View a Candidate or Election Related Committee Report," accessed April 22, 2014
- Passaic County, New Jersey, "Official School Election," accessed April 22, 2014
- Passaic County, New Jersey, "April 23, 2014 Summary Report," accessed April 23, 2014
|2014 Passaic Public Schools Elections|
|Passaic County, New Jersey|
|Election date:||April 23, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Incumbent, Horacio "Ray" Carrera • Incumbent, Kenia Flores • Incumbent, Richard Diaz • Rene L. Griggs|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|