Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Board Member, Mesa County Valley School District 51, At-large|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|Bachelor's||Colorado Mesa University|
Kanda earned his accounting degree from Colorado Mesa University, and currently works as an accountant. Kanda attended District 51 schools and has four stepchildren, three of whom graduated from District 51 schools. He already works as a math tutor.
|Mesa County Valley School District 51, District C General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||John Williams Incumbent||53.2%||19,543|
|Source: Mesa County, Colorado, "2013 Coordinated Election," accessed December 16, 2013|
Kanda was endorsed by the Mesa County Republican Women.
What was at stake?
Three seats on the Mesa County Valley School Board were up for election. Current District C seat holder John Williams and District E seat holder and Board President Greg Mikolai sought re-election to their seats, while District D seat holder Leslie Kiesler was term-limited.
About the districtMesa County, Colorado. According to the 2010 US Census, Mesa County is home to 146,723 residents.
Mesa County underperformed in terms of its average household income, poverty rate and higher education achievement in 2011 compared to the state of Colorado. The median household income in Mesa County is $52,986 compared to $57,685 statewide. The poverty rate in Mesa County is 12.7% compared to 12.5% for the entire state. The U.S. Census also found that 26.1% of Mesa County residents aged 25 years and older attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 36.3% in Colorado as a whole.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Patrick + Kanda + Mesa + County + Valley + School + District + 51"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- KKCO 11 News, "Pat Kanda," accessed November 31, 2013
- Colorado TRACER, "Candidate Detail," accessed December 19, 2013
- Emily Shockley, The Daily Sentinel, "Mesa County Democrats shun endorsements in school races," published October 7, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Mesa County, Colorado," accessed October 31, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, "Total Registered Voters By Party Affiliation and Status," accessed October 4, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014