|Oregon House of Representatives District 51|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||Washington State University, 1996|
|Profession||Owner/Manager, Fingers Design Group Inc|
Sheehan earned his B.A. from Edward R. Murrow School of Communication at Washington State University in 1996. His professional experience includes working at Crazy Fingers Design Group Inc., an advertising agency, and as a part-time faculty at Clackamas Community College.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Sheehan served on these committees:
- Joint Legislative Audits and Information Management and Technology Committee, Oregon State Legislature
- General Government and Consumer Protection, Vice Chair
- Transportation, Vice Chair
Sheehan's campaign website listed six main issues:
- Creating New Jobs for Oregonians: "The role of state government is to provide an environment in which businesses can thrive and grow...We need to make it easier for small businesses to work with state agencies by simplifying the bureaucracy for contracting and permitting. Suffocating taxes, fees and regulations prevent businesses from creating jobs and need to be reviewed regularly to determine if they are doing what they were intended to do or if they are simply standing in the way of success for Oregon's small businesses."
- Education First: "Public schools are being held hostage in Oregon. The largest budget item and supposedly the most important, education most often is the last item to be funded by our State Legislature. If we are serious about education being important to Oregon's future and the future of its children, we need to fund education before anything else in the state budget."
- Keeping Oregonians safe: "We need to protect Measure 11 as it falls under attack from the Governor and the Legislature to keep violent offenders behind bars and away from your family...Prisoners need to do their time with reasonable incentives for good behavior and rehabilitation - not automatic sentence reductions."
- Rural Issues & Property Rights: "I support protecting family farms by reforming the death tax. I oppose unnecessary intrusion like the “tree cutting permit” being discussed by Clackamas County. I believe we need to give property owners more control over zoning and land use regulations."
- Re-thinking health care.: "A government solution for health care is the wrong direction. Instead, a culture shift is needed in those who provide and receive care. Some of the factors contributing to the current crisis are: Over consumption of diagnostic medicine-Doctors are sued or disciplined for missing obscure and unlikely diagnoses, and often prescribe unnecessary tests to avoid the trouble or to appease a patient's requests...Out-of-control lawsuits - Our current system actually encourages lawsuits against medical professionals when juries award outrageous sums to patients and their families..."All-access" Insurance - Instead of being used as it was originally intended, as a protection against an unlikely eventuality, health insurance is now thought of as taking care of everything. We don't use car insurance to pay for new tires or windshield wipers but we want health insurance to pay for every doctor visit and bottle of aspirin."
- A Voice for Citizens: "As a representative of the people of my district, I will encourage constituents to contact my office when they feel stuck or become intimidated in dealing with a state agency."
Sheehan ran for re-election in the 2012 election for Oregon House of Representatives District 51. Sheehan was unopposed in the May 15 Republican primary and was defeated by Shemia Fagan (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Oregon House of Representatives, District 51, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Patrick Sheehan Incumbent||47.1%||11,199|
|Oregon State House, District 51|
|Patrick Sheehan (R)||12,409|
|Cheryl Myers (D)||10,330|
In 2010, Sheehan raised a total of $371,742 in campaign funds. His top contributors were:
|Promote Oregon Leadership PAC||$53,369|
|Oregon Victory PAC||$25,000|
|Oregon Lodging Association||$20,000|
|Associated Oregon Industries||$17,500|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Patrick + Sheehan + Oregon + House'"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Oregon House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Oregon State Legislature
- Joint Committees
- Oregon state legislative districts
- Official campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Patrick Sheehan on Twitter
- Patrick Sheehan on YouTube
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Official campaign website, "Issues," accessed December 29, 2014
- Oregon Secretary of State, "Candidate Filings for the Senate," accessed April 11, 2012
- Oregon Secretary of State, "Oregon State House Official Primary Results for 2012," accessed May 15, 2014
- Oregon Secretary of State, "Oregon State House Official General Results for 2012," accessed May 24, 2014
- Oregon Live Election, "2010 General Election Results," accessed May 15, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 campaign contributions," accessed December 29, 2014
Brent Barton (D)
|Oregon House of Representatives District 51
| Succeeded by|
Shemia Fagan (D)