|Davenport Community School District, At-large|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||September 10, 2013|
|First elected||September 2000|
Zamora is an attorney and former teacher. Zamora is the mother of five children, has twelve grandchildren, and nine great-grandchildren, most of whom are educated in the Davenport Community School District.
Zamora placed fourth out of five candidates and failed to win re-election to the board on September 10, 2013.
|Davenport Community School District, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Richard Clewell Incumbent||21.7%||1,274|
|Nonpartisan||Patt Zamora Incumbent||18.9%||1,109|
|Source: Scott County, Iowa, "Election Summary Report," September 13, 2013|
As of September 10, 2013, Zamora has not disclosed any campaign finance expenditures or contributions.
Zamora received the endorsement of the Quad-City Federation of Labor ahead of the September 10, 2013 general election.
On September 8, 2009, Zamora defeated three challengers for a seat on the Davenport Community School District School Board.
|Davenport Community School District Board of Education, At-large General Election, 2011, 2011|
|Nonpartisan||Larry L. Roberson||18.5%||882|
|Nonpartisan||Deborah Whan Dierkes||10.4%||494|
|Source: Scott County|
“Providing a rigorous curriculum in order to insure all children reach their highest level of achievement. We must put equal efforts into erasing the achievement gap.”
What was at stake?
Three seats on the board were up for election on September 10, 2013. The board continues to deal with declining enrollment figures across the district as well as poor performances according to state and federal assessment programs. Davenport Community School District has experienced a 5.2% decline in enrollment between 2008 and 2012. The district was identified as a District in Need of Assistance and 20 schools qualified as Schools in Need of Assistance according to the 2012 State Report Card.
About the district
Davenport outperforms the rest of Iowa in terms of higher education achievement though lags behind on median income and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 25.9% of Davenport residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 24.9% rate for the entire state. Davenport had a median income of $42,983 in 2010 compared to $50,451 for Iowa. The poverty rate for Davenport was 17.6% in 2010 compared to an 11.9% rate for the rest of the state.
- Iowa school districts
- Davenport Community School District, Iowa
- Davenport Community School District elections (2013)
- Quad City Times, "Maria Dickmann," accessed September 5, 2013
- IECDB Web Reporting System, "IECDB State/Local Campaign Disclosure Reports" Accessed September 5, 2013
- Quad-City Times, "Labor group issues school board endorsements," September 5, 2013
- Quad City Times, "Patt Zamora," accessed September 5, 2013
- Iowa Department of Education, "Certified Enrollment," accessed July 29, 2013
- Iowa Department of Education, "Education Statistics," accessed July 29, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Davenport," accessed July 29, 2013
- Scott County Auditor, "Election Results," accessed July 29, 2013