|Alabama House of Representatives District 88|
|November 3, 2010-Present|
|November 5, 2018|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 6, 2018|
|Bachelor's||Florida State University|
|J.D.||Jones School of Law, Faulkner University|
Beckman earned his B.S. in Education from Florida State. He held a teaching license in Alabama until 2002. He is currently employed as a practicing attorney for Capouano, Beckman & Russell, LLC.
Beckman served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
- Subcommittee on Constitutional Issues
- Subcommittee on Civil Justice
Beckman's website highlighted the following campaign issues:
- Opposes Constitutional Reform
- Excerpt: "Paul cannot support a new Constitution at this time. He also cannot in good faith allow the people who voted for a 62% pay raise to redo Alabama's Constitution."
- Opposes Gambling
- Excerpt: "Paul does not support gambling as it currently exists in the State and believes that bingo machines are little more than slot machines."
- Restore Trust in Government
- Excerpt: "Paul believes that the citizens of District 88 can't take much more abuse from our elected leaders. Join him in the fight to peacefully take back what is ours, our government."
- Supports Term Limits
- Excerpt: "Paul believes that before the state can have true ethics reform it must require term limits on members of the State Legislature. "
- Supports Gov. Riley in Opposing Illegal Bingo in Alabama
- Excerpt: "Paul Beckman supports the position taken by a citizen in District 88 in a letter to the editor of the Montgomery Advertiser expressing opposition to illegal bingo gambling in Alabama.. "After viewing Gov. Riley's State of the State speech, I am in total agreement with the issues he presented, especially those of opposition to 'slot machine bingo' in Alabama" wrote Mr. J.M. Jones of Autaugaville."
- Supports Pre-K
- Excerpt: "Paul believes that we must continue to build and properly fund a successful Pre-K program in Alabama. "
- Supports Transparent Government
- Excerpt: "Paul supports transparency in State Government -- a goal that can be achieved with a more robust Ethic Law."
- Opposes New Taxes
- Excerpt: "Paul does not support imposing new or higher taxes on the working people of Alabama in an effort to support bloated government bureaucracies that offer little accountability to taxpayers."
Elections for the office of Alabama House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Incumbent Paul Beckman was unopposed in the Republican primary and was unchallenged in the general election.
|Alabama House of Representatives, District 88 Republican Primary (2010)|
|Paul Beckman (R)||5,520|
|Mac Gipson (R)||3,665|
In 2010, Beckman raised $88,072 in contributions.
His five largest contributors were:
|Beckman, Paul L||$23,812|
|Beckman, Lorna P||$10,000|
|Alabama Farmers Federation||$5,000|
|Friends Of Mike Hubbard||$5,000|
Beckman and his wife, Linda, have one child.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
Note: As of December 2014, we were unable to locate any scorecards for the state of Alabama. If you are aware of a scorecard Ballotpedia has not included please email it to email@example.com.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Paul + Beckman + Alabama + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Alabama House of Representatives
- House Committees
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Paul Beckman's campaign website (Archived)
- House site
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Paul Beckman on Facebook
- Paul Beckman's campaign website, Issues (timed out) (timed out)
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama2010.com, "Alabama GOP primary results," accessed May 5, 2014 (dead link) (dead link)
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed July 18, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Newt Gingrich 2012, "Newt 2012 Announces Alabama Leadership Team," March 12, 2012 (dead link) (timed out)
|Alabama House District 88
| Succeeded by|
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|