For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|Montebello Unified School Board, At-large|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|Profession||Information systems analyst|
Montoya works as an information systems analyst for the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services. He and his wife, Yorling, have two children.
|Montebello Unified School Board, Unexpired term, November 5, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Paul Montoya Incumbent||40.1%||3,137|
|Source: Los Angeles County Clerk, "NOVEMBER 5, 2013 - LOCAL & MUNI CONSOLIDATED ELECTION Final Official Election Returns" accessed December 18, 2013|
Montoya did not report any contributions or expenditures to the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk.
The Los Cerritos News endorsed Montoya on November 1, 2013.
Montoya explained his reasons for running in 2013 in an interview with EGP News:
As a current Board member, and as a parent, I want to ensure that every student has the personal and academic tools required to achieve success; these tools include values and ethics reflective of our community. Success is not measured in money, but by the positive impact our students have on society.
What was at stake?
Controversial campaign mailer
A campaign committee called the Voters for Good Government sent out a mailer prior to the election pointing out domestic violence charges against Gerri Guzman in September 2012. The mailer included a copy of the arrest record from Los Angeles County, a mug shot and text connecting the arrest to Guzman's failures as a board member. Guzman was never prosecuted in connection with the charges due to lack of evidence. She expressed disappointment that the mailer attempted to use domestic violence as a campaign issue. Voters for Good Government was registered to local political operative David Gould.
About the district
Montebello lagged behind state rates for higher education achievement, median income and poverty according to the 2010 U.S. Census. The percentage of city residents over 25 years old with Bachelor's degrees (16.7%) was lower than the state average (30.2%). The 2010 U.S. Census calculated a median income of $52,496 in Montebello and $61,632 for California. Montebello had a poverty rate of 15% in 2010 while California's poverty rate was 14.4%.
|Racial Demographics, 2010|
|Race||Montebello (%)||California (%)|
|Black or African American||0.9||6.2|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||1||1|
|Two or More Races||3.7||4.9|
|Hispanic or Latino||79.3||36.7|
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Paul + Montoya + Montebello + School + District "
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Montebello Unified School District, California
- Montebello Unified School District elections (2013)
- Whittier Daily News, "Four spots up for grabs in the Montebello Unified board election," November 1, 2013
- Montoya 4 Kids, "About Me," accessed November 21, 2013 (timed out) (timed out)
- Los Cerritos News, "Endorsements: Elect Cardenas, Guzman, Chacon and Montoya for the Montebello Unified School District Board of Education," November 1, 2011
- EGP News, "Election Preview: Candidates Seek Seats In MUSD, Bell Gardens, Montebello," September 26, 2013
- Los Cerritos News, "Montebello School Board Member’s Past Arrest Record Mailed to Voters Days Before Polls Open," accessed November 21, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Quick Facts: Montebello" accessed November 21, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014