Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|St. Vrain Valley Board of Education, District E|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November 5, 2013|
|Next general||November, 2017|
Peairs won election to the board without opposition when the district canceled the general election scheduled for November 5, 2013 on September 4, 2013.
What was at stake?
Incumbents Joie Siegrist and Debbie Lammers sought re-election to the board in 2013. Siegrist was appointed to the board in February 2012 and will serve the remainder of an unexpired two-year term. District D member Dori Van Lone and District F member Rod Schmidt were ineligible to run for additional terms because of Amendment 17 to the Colorado Constitution, which says that no "elected official of any...school district....shall serve more than two consecutive terms in office." Newcomers John Ahrens and Paula Peairs were running to replace Van Lone and Schmidt. The election was canceled on September 4, 2013 as only four candidates filed to fill the four available seats.
About the district
Longmont outperformed the rest of Colorado in higher education achievement while lagging behind state rates for median income and poverty. The average household income in Longmont was $56,278 compared to $57,685 for the state of Colorado. The poverty rate in Longmont was 12.9% compared to 12.5% for the entire state. The U.S. Census also found that 37.8% of Longmont residents aged 25 years and older earned a bachelor's degree compared to a 36.3% in Colorado.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Paula + Peairs + St. + Vrain + Valley + School + District + Colorado"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- St. Vrain Valley School District, Colorado
- St. Vrain Valley School District elections (2013)
- St. Vrain Valley School District, "Order of Cancellation," September 4, 2013
- Colorado TRACER, "Candidate and Candidate Committee Detail," accessed December 19, 2013
- Times-Call, "St. Vrain Valley School District likely to cancel school board election," August 26, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts:Longmont, accessed October 25, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, “Voter Registration Numbers,” accessed October 25, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014