|Peace and Freedom Party|
|Year founded:||June 23, 1967|
The Peace and Freedom Party
is a political party in California
. It was born from the civil rights and anti-war movements of the 1960s and was founded in 1967. The party describes itself as "California's Feminist Socialist Political Party." It is "committed to socialism, democracy, ecology, feminism and racial equality."
The party highlights the following values from its 2014 platform on its website:
||The Peace and Freedom Party, born from the civil rights and anti-war movements of the 1960s, is committed to socialism, democracy, ecology, feminism, racial equality, and internationalism. We organize toward a world where cooperation replaces competition, a world where all people are well fed, clothed and housed; where all women and men have equal status; where all individuals may freely endeavor to fulfill their own talents and desires; a world of freedom and peace where every community retains its cultural integrity and lives with all others in harmony. Our goals cannot be achieved by electoral means alone. We support mass organization, direct action, a militant labor movement, and establishment of alternative institutions. We offer this summary of our immediate and long-range goals:
- Double the minimum wage, and index it to the cost of living.
- Guarantee the right of all workers to organize and to strike; forbid striker replacement.
- Socially useful jobs for all at union pay levels.
- Equal pay for equal work, and for work of comparable worth.
- A 30-hour workweek with no cut in weekly pay; longer paid vacations.
- A Universal Basic Income with full social benefits as a basic human right.
- Tax the income and assets of the rich to meet human needs.
- International trade agreements must guarantee the protection of workers and the environment in all participating countries; abolish NAFTA, GATT and the World Trade Organization (WTO).
- End homelessness; abolish vagrancy laws; provide decent affordable housing for all.
- Cancellation of all debts found to be illegitimate and unjust to the working class through an open and democratic process not controlled by the creditors.
- Social ownership and democratic control of industry, financial institutions, and natural resources.
- The United States should take the initiative toward global disarmament by eliminating nuclear, chemical and biological weapons.
- Withdraw U. S. troops and weapons from other countries, and reallocate the resulting "peace dividend" for social benefit.
- Abolish the CIA, NSA, AID and other agencies for interference in other countries' internal affairs.
- No drones for killing or invasion of privacy.
- Convert from a military to a peace oriented economy, with jobs for displaced workers.
- Self-determination for all nations and peoples of the world, including Puerto Rico and all U. S. territories.
- Defend and extend liberties guaranteed in the Bill of Rights.
- Repeal the Patriot Act. Dismantle the Department of Homeland Security.
- End Corporate Personhood: Corporations are not people and money is not speech.
- End discrimination based on race, sex, age, sexual orientation, or disability.
- Restore affirmative action, guarantee full education and employment rights for all.
- Support the right of working people to keep and bear arms.
- Protect digital freedom and privacy, and net neutrality.
- No prison labor for private profit.
- Abolish the death penalty.
- Abolish all torture in prisons. Uphold prisoner rights.
- Full rights for all immigrant workers. No human is illegal. Stop ICE raids. Stop jailing and deporting immigrants.
- Democratic elections through proportional representation; full political, social and economic rights for resident non-citizens.
- Honor treaties with Native American nations; recognize California's Native American nations. Defend and extend Native American rights and sovereignty.
- Full free high quality public education from pre-school through graduate school, with lifelong learning and retraining. Cancel existing student debt.
- Teach the history of workers' struggles and labor's creation of society's wealth and progress.
- End high stakes testing. Abolish charter schools and stop voucher schemes.
- Free day care for all children.
- Restore and strengthen bilingual education.
- Uncensored government funding for ordinary people to create and enjoy art.
- Free high-quality health care for everyone, including birth control, abortion, pre-natal and childhood health care. No forced sterilizations.
- Scientific and technological research to benefit ordinary people, not the capitalists.
- Legalize marijuana, decriminalize drug use, and make substance abuse treatment freely available.
- Give special attention to preventing epidemics of communicable diseases such as AIDS. Guarantee the rights of people living with AIDS.
- Restore and protect air, water, land and ecosystems.
- Outlaw destructive practices such as clear cutting, fracking, mountaintop removal, tar sands extraction, and offshore drilling.
- Promote conservation and develop solar and other renewable energy to replace nuclear power and fossil fuels.
- End environmental racism: no toxic dumping in anyone's back yard.
- Massive development of public transportation available free or at nominal fares.
- Promote an environmentally sound agricultural system which meets human needs and protects farm workers' labor rights and standard of living. No genetically engineered organisms in food production.
—Peace and Freedom Party Summary Platform (March 2014)
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Peace + and + Freedom + Party + California"
- All stories may not be relevant to this organization due to the nature of the search engine.
Peace and Freedom Party News Feed