Permanent Defense is a website launched in February 2002 to "oppose right wing initiatives" and fight Tim Eyman. The Northwest Progressive Institute is the "parent organization" of Permanent Defense.
The mission of Permanent Defense, according to its website, is:
"We will work to protect Washington by building a first line of defense against threats to the common wealth of the Evergreen State."
The vision of Permanent Defense, according to its website, is:
"A public conversation freed from the dominance of right wing demagoguery, an electorate that respects and values the common good, and an end to the abuse of the initiative process by powerful interests."
The goals of Permanent Defense, according to its website, are:
- "To expose the manner in which Tim Eyman, Michael Dunmire, and their cohorts deceive taxpayers with lies, sound bites, and slanted information."
- "To maintain an Internet presence opposing Tim Eyman and his ideas."
- "To collectively oppose Tim Eyman and his initiative factory and provide advance threat analysis of Eyman’s schemes."
- "To support the organizations Eyman aims to destroy, notably Sound Transit."
Address: Permanent Defense, A Northwest Progressive Institute project, Post Office Box 264, Redmond, WA 98073-0264
Eyman initiatives opposed by Permanent Defense
- I-960 in 2007. Permanent Defense described I-960 as "a threat to our republic." I-960 passed.
- I-900 in 2005. Permanent Defense said the "the initiative was unnecessary and gave the state auditor's office too much power." I-900 passed.
- I-912 in 2005. I-912 was not primarily sponsored by Eyman. It failed.
- I-807 in 2003. According to the organization's materials, in 2003, they worked with Taxpayers For Washington's Future and David Goldstein to defeat I-807.
Washington Defense PAC
In 2005, Permanent Defense set up a "sister organization" called the Washington Defense PAC, in order to "mount a widespread grassroots campaign" to oppose Eyman's I-912.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Permanent + Defense"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.