Personhood supporters pursue appeal against Colorado's Blue Book
DENVER, Colorado: Following the dismissal of a challenge against the 2010 State Voter Guide, also known as The Blue Book, supporters of Colorado Fetal Personhood, Amendment 62 announced October 12 that they plan to pursue an appeal.
Supporters argue that the Blue Book misleads voters and misstates facts about the measure. According to reports, the voter guide was available online for several days prior to the lawsuit and an estimated 1.8 million copies have been sent to voters in the state.
Amendment 62, if approved by voters, would apply the "term 'person' as used in the Colorado Constitution in [relation] to inalienable rights, equality of justice and due process of law, to every human being from the beginning of the biological development of that human being."
The case was dismissed on September 30, 2010. Denver District Judge Robert Hyatt agreed with the Legislative Council attorneys that the courts do not have a say in the matter. According to reports, the attorneys had argued that the writing of the Blue Book is a legislative function. Additionally, Judge Hyatt concluded that it is simply too late to make any changes to the state's voters guide. "Everyone in this room has probably received their Blue Book. This court is in no position to wander around the state picking them up," said Hyatt.
Measure supporters said they were likely to file an appeal. Gualberto Garcia-Jones, director of Personhood Colorado, one of the groups backing Amendment 62, said, "I think it is apparent that the court believes there is no authority over the Colorado Legislative Council, and that is scary. The Colorado Legislative Council can print anything they want to based on their own prejudices, and my tax dollars have to pay for it."
|Propositions •||Recall||• Law|
- The Denver Post,"Personhood proponents sue over analysis in Colorado voter Blue Book," September 22, 2010
- The Denver Post,"Backers of Amendment 62 lose Blue Book challenge," October 1, 2010
- Medical News Today,"Colo. Judge Dismisses Lawsuit Over Description Of 'Personhood' Ballot Initiative," October 5, 2010
- Huffington Post,"'Personhood' Amendment's Lawsuit Over Colorado Blue Book Dismissed," September 30, 2010
- World Net Daily,"Lawsuit: Colorado government 'biased' toward abortion," October 2, 2010