Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Former New York Commissioner of Labor|
|June 30, 2012 – January 2015|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed by||Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D)|
|New York State Assembly District 76|
|1993 - June 30, 2012|
|Bachelor's||Business Administration, Pace College, 1968|
|J.D.||Saint John's Law School, Jamaica, 1974|
|Date of birth||11/12/1946|
|Place of birth||Ponce, Puerto Rico|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Political career
- 3 Elections/Appointments
- 4 Campaign donors
- 5 Recent news
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
- 8 References
Rivera previously served as a Democratic member of the New York State Assembly, representing District 76 from 1993 until his resignation on June 30, 2012, to take over as Commissioner of Labor. He was serving as State Assembly Speaker Pro Tempore at the time.
Rivera is an attorney in private practice. His other professional experience includes federal agent with the Drug Enforcement Agency; assistant district attorney, homicide bureau for the Bronx District Attorney's Office; and a police officer in South Bronx.
Rivera earned his B.A. in Business Administration from Pace College and his J.D. from Saint John's Law School, Jamaica. He has two children; Lauren and Peter.
Commissioner of Labor (2012-2015)
New York State Assembly (1993-2012)
Rivera previously served as a Democratic member of the New York State Assembly, representing District 76 from 1993 until his resignation on June 30, 2012 to take over as Commissioner of Labor. He was serving as State Assembly Speaker Pro Tempore at the time.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Rivera served on the following committees:
- Agriculture Committee, New York State Assembly
- Consumer Affairs and Protection Committee, New York State Assembly
- Judiciary Committee, New York State Assembly
- Rules Committee, New York State Assembly
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Rivera served on the following committees:
- Agriculture Committee, New York Assembly
- Consumer Affairs and Protection Committee, New York Assembly
- Judiciary Committee, New York Assembly
- Mental Health Committee, New York Assembly
- Rules Committee, New York Assembly
Rivera was nominated as New York Commissioner of Labor by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) on March 24, 2012. Cuomo stated, "Assemblyman Rivera has the knowledge and experience to take the department to the next level."
- See also: New York State Assembly elections, 2010
|New York State Assembly, District 76 2010|
|Peter Rivera (D)||13,898|
|Steven Stern (R)||1,194|
|Walter Nestler (G)||246|
- See also: New York State Assembly elections, 2008
On November 4, 2008, Rivera won re-election to the New York State Assembly, District 76, defeating opponent Charles Serrano (R).
Rivera raised $95,600 for his campaign while Serrano raised $0.
|New York State Assembly, District 76 2008|
|Peter Rivera (D)||26,832|
|Charles Serrano (R)||2,167|
Comprehensive donor information for Rivera is available dating back to 1998. Based on available campaign finance records, Rivera raised a total of $595,298 during that time period. This information was last updated on May 21, 2013.
In 2010, Rivera received $95,800 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|New York State Assembly 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Peter Rivera's campaign in 2010|
|1199 Seiu United Healthcare Workers East||$3,800|
|New York State United Teachers||$3,000|
|Mundo Red It LLC||$3,000|
|79Th Street Realty Corp||$2,500|
|New York City District Council Of Carpenters||$2,500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$95,800|
In the 2008 election, Rivera raised a total of $95,600.
His 6 largest contributors in 2008 were:
|1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East||$4,000|
|Friends of Sheldon Silver||$3,800|
|AFSCME District Council 37||$3,500|
|New York State AFL-CIO||$3,000|
|New York State United Teachers||$2,500|
|New York City District Council of Carpenters||$2,500|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the terms "Peter Rivera New York Labor ."
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of Google's news search engine.
- New York Department of Labor
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998
- New York Governor's Office, "Governor Cuomo Announces Confirmations," June 20, 2012
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography of Peter Rivera," accessed December 24, 2014
- Legislative Gazette, "Cuomo nominates Peter Rivera for Labor Commissioner," March 26, 2012
- New York Times, "NY state legislative election results," accessed February 11, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Report on 2008 Campaign donations in New York," accessed August 1, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Career fundraising for Peter Rivera," accessed May 21, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2008 contributions," accessed November 20, 2014
|New York Commissioner of Labor
June 30, 2012 - January 2015
| Succeeded by|
Mario J. Musolino
|New York Assembly District 76
1993–June 30, 2012
| Succeeded by|
Micah Kellner (D)