Pflugerville Independent School District, Texas
|Pflugerville Independent School District|
|Superintendent:||Alex Elias Torrez|
|Number of schools:||30|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Elva Gladney|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Pflugerville ISD
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 See also
- 10 External links
- 11 References
About the districtTravis County, Texas. The county seat of Travis County is Austin. The county's population was 1,024,266 according to the 2010 U.S. Census.
Travis County overperformed in comparison to the rest of Texas in terms of higher education achievement in 2013. The United States Census Bureau found that 44.9 percent of Travis County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.7 percent for Texas as a whole. The median household income in Travis County was $58,025 compared to $51,900 for the state of Texas. The poverty rate in Travis County was 17.4 percent, compared to 17.6 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
The superintendent of Pflugerville Independent School District is Alex Elias Torrez, who was appointed to the position in September 2013. Torrez has his Bachelor's degree from Lubbock Christian University, his Master's degree from Sul Ross State University and his doctorate in educational leadership from Prairie View A&M University. Prior to this position, Torrez was serving as Assistant Superintendent for Secondary Education of Clear Creek Independent School District.
The Pflugerville ISD Board of Trustees consists of seven members who are elected by district to three-year terms.
|Pflugerville ISD Board of Trustees|
|Member||Role||Place #||Term Ends|
|Elva Gladney||President||Place 1||2015|
|Vernagene Mott||Vice President||Place 4||2016|
|Dr. Cynthia Graves||Secretary||Place 2||2015|
|Mario Acosta||Member||Place 3||2016|
|Dr. Carol Fletcher||Member||Place 5||2016|
|Larry Bradley||Member||Place 6||2017|
|Rob Reyes||Member||Place 7||2017|
School board elections
Members of the Pflugerville ISD Board of Trustees are elected by district to three-year terms. There was supposed to be an election on May 10, 2014, for two seats, however the district canceled the election since incumbent Rob Reyes and newcomer Larry Bradley were running unopposed. Two seats will be on the ballot in May 2015.
Public participation in board meetings
The Board of Trustees maintains the following policy regarding public participation in board meetings last updated in 2011:
As long as the requirements of the Open Meetings Act are satisfied and the right of citizens to apply to the Board for redress of their grievances is not abridged, the Board need not provide a public forum for every citizen wishing to express an opinion on a matter. Reasonable restraints on the number, length, and frequency of presentations are permissible. The Board may limit the number of persons it will hear on a particular subject and the frequency with which they may appear, so long as the regulation does not abridge constitutionally guaranteed rights of freedom of speech and to petition nor unfairly discriminate among views seeking expression. 
—Pflugerville Independent School District's website, (2011) 
The Pflugerville Independent School District's budget is published on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
As of the 2013-2014 school year, teachers in the Pflugerville with no experience start out making $45,063; the midpoint is $53,015 and the maximum is $60,968.
Schools in Pflugerville ISD
Pflugerville Independent School District serves 22,763 students. Pflugerville Independent School District does not publicly archive enrollment data.
Pflugerville Independent School District operates 30 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Pflugerville Independent School District Schools|
|Barron Elementary School|
|Brookhollow Elementary School|
|Caldwell Elementary School|
|Cele Middle School|
|Connally High School|
|Copperfield Elementary School|
|Delco Primary School|
|Dessau Elementary School|
|Dessau Middle School|
|Hendrickson High School|
|Highland Park Elementary School|
|Kelly Lane Middle School|
|Murchison Elementary School|
|Northwest Elementary School|
|Pflugerville Academic Center of Excellence (PACE)|
|Park Crest Middle School|
|Parmer Lane Elementary School|
|Pflugerville Elementary School|
|Pflugerville High School|
|Pflugerville Middle School|
|Provan Opportunity Center K-12|
|Riojas Elementary School|
|River Oaks Elementary School|
|Rowe Lane Elementary School|
|Spring Hill Elementary School|
|Timmerman Elementary School|
|Westview Middle School|
|Wieland Elementary School|
|Windermere Elementary School|
|Windermere Primary School|
The Texas Education Agency issues an annual accountability report for each school district in the state. This rating determines if district schools fulfill expectations in four categories of educational achievement during a particular school year. The following terms explain these categories:
- Student Achievement: Measures student performance on the annual Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) test.
- Student Progress: Measures student performance in reading, math and writing courses at the district level.
- Closing Performance Gaps: Measures year-to-year performance among students in the lowest-performing demographics.
- Postsecondary Readiness: Measures student readiness for college, employment or military service after graduation.
Pflugerville Independent School District received a Met Standard designation on the state's 2013 report. District schools met 95 percent of indicators set forth by state education officials and all four assessment categories. The following table details the district's accountability report during the 2012-2013 school year:
|Performance Index Summary, 2012-2013|
|Category||Points earned||Maximum points||Index score||Target score|
|Closing Performance Gaps||1,143||1,500||76||50|
- School board elections portal
- Pflugerville Independent School District elections (2014)
- Texas school districts
- List of school districts in Texas
- Pflugerville Independent School District, "Pflugerville I.S.D. District Budget," accessed December 15, 2014
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Travis County," accessed March 4, 2014
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Travis County Clerk, "Election Results," accessed December 30, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Pflugerville Independent School District, "Superintendent of Schools," accessed March 12, 2014
- Pflugerville Independent School District, "Board of Trustees," accessed March 12, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Pflugerville Independent School District, "Public Participation," May 19, 2011
- Pflugerville Independent School District, "2013 - 14 Educational Leadership Compensation Plan," accessed March 12, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed February 18, 2014
- Pflugerville Independent School District, "Campuses," accessed March 12, 2014
- Pflugerville Independent School District, "Accountability Summary 2013," accessed June 24, 2014