|Virginia House of Delegates District 93|
|1988 - 2010|
|Date of birth||April 9, 1952|
Hamilton has worked for Newport News Public Schools since 1975. He is currently a professional development coordinator, and has also served as assistant principal, and teacher.
Hamilton's official website lists a number of issues and his views, including:
- Public Education: "Provide adequate state funding for public education programs that have demonstrated high quality through a defined curriculum and academic standards that can be measured for accountability."
- Healthcare: "Provide quality, affordable health care services to all citizens through increased access to private health care providers, public health clinics, free clinics, and community health centers."
- Energy Independence: Increase Virginia’s on-going efforts to develop alternative energy sources utilizing clean coal, solar, nuclear, winds, waves, and biofuel technologies.
- Transportation: "Ensure that the recently enacted $3 billion transportation bond package is used exclusively for needed highway, bridge, and tunnel construction, rail expansion, and mass transit."
- Economic Prosperity: "Protect Virginia’s Right-to-Work law," "Protect Virginia’s existing tax rates and the repeal of the Estate (death) tax and the state sales tax on food, the Land Conservation tax credits, and the personal property tax cap."
- Budget Reform: "Require all government agencies to submit a zero-based budget within a rotating ten-year cycle to justify the need for funding existing programs and expenditures."
- Appropriations Committee, Virginia House (Vice Chair)
- Education Committee, Virginia House
- Health, Welfare and Institutions Committee, Virginia House (Chair)
- Subcommittee on Elementary & Secondary Education
- Subcommittee on General Government
- Subcommittee on Health & Human Resources (Chair)
- Subcommittee on Public Safety
- Subcommittee on Standards of Quality
- Subcommittee on Teachers and Admin. Action
In 2009, Hamilton lost his bid for re-election to the Virginia House of Delegates.
- HB 2059 Food and beverage taxes; provides numerous exemptions to meals imposed by cities & towns.
- HB 2061 Psychiatric Inpatient Treatment of Minors Act; mandatory outpatient treatment.
- HB 2067 Smoke Free Air Act; smoking in public places, civil penalties.
Interview with Delegate Hamilton
The top five donors to Hamilton's 2007 campaign were mostly from the health care industry:
- 1. VA Medical Society $22,809
- 2. VA Dental Assoc $11,250
- 3. VA Hospital & Healthcare Assoc $8,000
- 4. VA Healthcare Assoc $6,000
- 5. Northrop Grumman $6,000
- Delegate Phil Hamilton official website
- Virginia House of Delegates - Rep. Hamilton
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Campaign Contributions:2007, 2005, 2003, 2001, 1999
- Virginia Public Access Project profile
- Richmond Sunlight profile
- Delegate Phil Hamilton on Twitter
- Delegate Hamilton Facebook profile
|Virginia House of Delegates District 93
| Succeeded by|
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |