Pickerington Local School District elections (2013)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Pickerington Local School District
Fairfield County, Ohio ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Ohio
Three seats on the Pickerington Local School District Board were up for election on November 5, 2013. Incumbents Cathy Olshefski, Lori A. Sanders and challenger Vanessa Niekamp defeated incumbent Clay Lopez for the three at-large seats.
About the district
- See also: Pickerington Local School District, Ohio
In terms of graduation rate, average household income and poverty rate, Fairfield County overperformed in these areas. The graduation rate was 91.6% compared to 87.8% statewide. The average household income was $58,249 compared to $48,071 in the entire state. The poverty rate was 11.5%, while the poverty rate for Ohio was 14.8%.
|Racial Demographics, 2010|
|Race||Fairfield County (%)||Ohio (%)|
|Hispanic or Latino||1.9||3.3|
|Two or More Races||1.9||2.0|
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
Method of board member selection
The Pickerington Local School Board is composed of five members who are elected at-large. There was no primary election on September 10, 2013 and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Three seats on the board were up for election in 2013 and two seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
Candidates for the Pickerington Local School Board must be 18 years old, a resident of the district and not hold city office concurrent to board service.
Four candidates declared their intentions to run for three at-large seats on the Pickerington Local School Board.
- Clay Lopez
- Incumbent and Board Vice President
- Vanessa Niekamp
- Graduate, Capital University
- Executive Director of the Ohio Board of Embalmers and Funeral Directors
- Cathy Olshefski
- Incumbent and Board President
- Graduate, Indiana University
- Lori A. Sanders
- Graduate, Ohio State University
- Occupational therapist
|Pickerington Local School District, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Lori A. Sanders Incumbent||28.5%||2,609|
|Nonpartisan||Cathy Olshefski Incumbent||23.1%||2,116|
|Nonpartisan||Clay Lopez Incumbent||23.1%||2,112|
|Source: Fairfield County Elections, "Election Summary Report for General Election in Fairfield County, Ohio," accessed December 13, 2013|
No endorsements were made in this election.
What was at stake?
Four candidates vied for three at-large seats on the Pickerington Local School Board on November 5, 2013. All three incumbents filed for re-election.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Pickerington Board of Education elections in 2013:
|August 7, 2013||Last day to file nominating petitions for local nonpartisan races|
|October 24, 2013||Filing deadline for pre-election expense reports|
|November 5, 2013||Election day|
|November 26, 2013||Certification of election results by county officials|
|December 13, 2013||Filing deadline for post-election expense reports|
Additional elections on the ballot
This election shared the ballot with various other local positions, including mayoral, city council and school board elections.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Pickerington + Local + School + District + Ohio"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Pickerington Local School District
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Fairfield County, Ohio ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Ohio
- Financial policies, education standards at stake in November school board elections
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Fairfield County," accessed October 21, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2013 Candidate Guide," accessed September 20, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Elections & Voting: Campaign Finance," accessed December 23, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2013 Election Calendar," accessed September 20, 2013