Primary preview: Nebraska state executive elections, 2014
|May 13, 2014 Election Preview|
Omaha, Nebraska: There are six state executive positions up for election in Nebraska in 2014. Contested Republican primaries will be held for four of those seats while Democrats face only two primary contests, for attorney general and one seat on the public service commission. A field of Republicans are vying for the seats of governor, attorney general, treasurer and auditor. The Nebraska Secretary of State seat alone is completely uncontested in the upcoming primary, with only two declared candidates so far, one Republican and one Libertarian.
Below, Ballotpedia has put together a preview of those upcoming elections.
Incumbent Gov. Dave Heineman (R) is barred by term limits from seeking re-election in 2014. Heineman had originally planned to back ex-Lt. Gov Rick Sheehy (R) as his successor; Sheehy was the obvious front-runner to take over the governor's office, having shared a winning ticket with Heineman in both the 2006 and 2010 elections. That was until Sheehy resigned amid scandal in Feb. 2012, causing a "deeply disappointed" Heineman to withdraw his support for his former second-in-command's campaign. Days later, campaign donors reportedly began receiving refund checks in the mail, the final death knell for Sheehy’s foregone gubernatorial ambitions. His departure set the stage for a crowded and suspenseful Republican primary for the 2014 open governor's race. Six Republicans are on Nebraska's primary ticket for the gubernatorial seat.
Nebraska Attorney General
- See also: Nebraska attorney general election, 2014
There are contested races in both the Democratic and Republican parties for the attorney general's seat. The seat is open since current incumbent Jon Bruning (R) is running for Governor of Nebraska.
Four Republicans will appear on the primary ballot for Nebraska Attorney General.
The only contested primary in this race shows two Republicans vying for the office of Nebraska Treasurer.
The race for Nebraska Auditor shows two Republicans on the primary ballot.
Nebraska Public Service Commissioner
A Democratic primary will be held for one seat on the Public Service Commission:
- Nebraska elections, 2014
- Nebraska Gubernatorial and Lieutenant Gubernatorial election, 2014
- Nebraska attorney general election, 2014
- Nebraska secretary of state election, 2014
- Nebraska down ballot state executive elections, 2014
- World Herald-Bureau, "Mike Flood launches bid for governor's office in 2014," November 13, 2012
- Journal Star, "Sheehy says he will run for Nebraska governor in 2014," July 15, 2011
- The Wall Street Journal, “Nebraska lt. governor resigns,” February 2, 2013
- Omaha World-Herald, “Sheehy’s campaign returns donations,” February 6, 2013