Prince William County Public Schools elections (2013)
|General Election date:|
Method of election
What was at stake?
Prince William County Public Schools
Prince William County, Virginia ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Virginia
One seat was up for election on the Prince William County Public School Board on November 5, 2013. This was a special election to fill the vacated seat of former member Denita Ramirez, who resigned in November 2012. Steven Keen was serving as interim, but lost to challenger Loree Williams in the election. She will fill the seat which expires in 2015.
About the district
In terms of graduation rate, average household income and poverty rate, Prince William County overperformed in these areas by a fairly wide margin. The graduation rate was 88.6% compared to 86.6% statewide. The average household income was $95,531 compared to $63,302 in the entire state. Prince William County had a poverty rate of 5.6%, while the poverty rate for Virginia was 10.7%.
Method of board member selection
The Prince William County School Board is comprised of eight members, one from each magisterial district and an at-large member who serves as chairman. They serve four year terms which are not staggered. One seat was up for election on November 5, 2013 to fill an unexpired term, and all eight seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
|Prince William County Public Schools, Woodbridge District, 4-year term (unexpired), 2013|
|Independent||Steven Keen Incumbent||38.4%||3,476|
|Source: Prince William County, Virginia, "November 2013 General Election Official Results," accessed December 12, 2013|
No endorsements were made in this election.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
What was at stake?
One seat was up for election on the Prince William County Public School Board on November 5, 2013. This was a special election to fill the vacated seat of former member Denita Ramirez, who resigned in November 2012.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Prince William County Public School Board election in 2013:
|June 11, 2013||Last day to file nominating petitions|
|October 15, 2013||Last day to register to vote|
|November 5, 2013||Election day|
Additional elections on the ballot
This election shared the ballot with other municipal and school board elections, as well as the statewide offices for governor, lieutenant governor and attorney general.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Prince + William + County + Public + Schools + Virginia"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- Prince William County Public Schools
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Prince William County, Virginia ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Virginia
- Quick Facts Accessed September 20, 2013]
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Election Results," Accessed September 18, 2013
- School Board Members & Information Accessed September 23, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Campaign Finance Reports, Steven Keen," accessed December 18, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Campaign Finance Reports, Loree Williams," accessed December 18, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections November 5, 2013 Elections Candidacy Requirements For Local Offices, accessed August 8, 2013