Public Safety Committee, Georgia State Senate
Per the Senate Rules, committees of the Georgia State Senate are assigned by the Committee on Assignments. The Committee on Assignments is made up of the President of the Senate, President Pro Tempore, Majority Leader and two members appointed by the President. Committees are assigned after each election. A majority of members is considered quorum, with "ex officio" members not counting towards quorum but allowed to vote. The President is not recognized as an "ex officio" member of any committee.
See rules: Senate Rules
|“||All legislation concerning the maintenance of the security and well-being of Georgia's citizens from physical violence or danger will be assigned to the Public Safety Committee. Additionally, the committee handles most legislation related to the licensing of drivers and safety on Georgia's roads.||”|
The following table describes committee membership at the beginning of the 2013 legislative session.
|Public Safety Committee Members, 2013|
|Democratic members (2)||Republican members (6)|
|• Gloria Butler||• Buddy Carter, Chair|
|• Valencia Seay||• John Albers, Vice Chair|
|• Barry Loudermilk|
|• Tyler Harper|
|• William Jackson|
|• Jack Murphy|
The following table describes committee membership for the 2011 legislative session.
|Public Safety Committee Members, 2011|
|Democratic members (3)||Republican members (5)|
|• Gloria Butler||• Johnny Grant, Chair|
|• Jason Carter||• John Albers, Vice Chair|
|• Valencia Seay||• Bill Hamrick|
|• William Ligon|
|• Jack Murphy|
- Georgia State Legislature, "Senate Rules," accessed January 16, 2014(Rule 2-1.3(a))
- Georgia State Legislature, "Senate Rules," accessed January 16, 2014(Rule 2-3.1(c))
- Georgia State Legislature, "Senate Rules," accessed January 16, 2014(Rule 2-1.8)
- Georgia State Senate, "Senate Public Safety," accessed August 21, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.