Putnam City Schools elections (2014)
|General Election date:|
Method of election
What was at stake?
Putnam City Schools
Dewey County, Oklahoma ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Oklahoma
One seat on the Putnam City Schools school board was scheduled to be up for general election on February 11, 2014. The board canceled the February 2014 election since the only seat up belonged to Tammy West, and she was running unopposed.
About the district
- See also: Putnam City Schools, Oklahoma
Oklahoma County outperformed the rest of Oklahoma in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 29.3% of Oklahoma County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 23.2% for Oklahoma as a whole. The median household income in Oklahoma County was $45,082 compared to $44,891 for the state of Oklahoma. The poverty rate in Oklahoma County was 17.8% compared to 16.6% for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Putnam school board consists of five members elected to five-year terms by geographic electoral districts. There is no primary election and the general election was to be held on February 11, 2014. The 2014 election for the District 4 seat was canceled, and the District 5 seat will be on the ballot in 2015. The District 4 member represents the southwest portion of the school district.
Candidates began to file affidavits of candidacy on December 2, 2013. The filing deadline for school board candidates to get on the ballot in the general election was December 4, 2013 and the deadline to contest a candidacy was December 6, 2013.
- Tammy West
- Incumbent and Board President
No endorsements were made in this election.
No contributions or expenditures were reported during the election, according to the Oklahoma Ethics Commission.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
What was at stake?
One seat on the school board was scheduled to be up for election on February 11, 2014. The board canceled the election since West's was the only seat up, and she was running unopposed.
Issues in the district
In February 2013, the district voted on a $6 million dollar bond proposal that focused on technology. The bond was approved. The proposed bond will add 10,000 iPads to schools across the district, over several years. It also details new technology to aid special needs students, as well as projection equipment.
|December 2, 2013||First day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|December 4, 2013||Last day to file affidavits of candidacy|
|December 6, 2013||Last day to contest a candidacy|
|February 1, 2014||Last day to file first campaign finance report|
|February 11, 2014||Election day|
|March 23, 2014||Last day to file second campaign finance report|
|April 1, 2014||Runoff election (if necessary)|
|August 21, 2014||Last day to file final campaign finance report|
Additional elections on the ballot
No other elections appeared on the local ballot.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Putnam + City + Schools + Oklahoma"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Putnam City Schools, Oklahoma
- Oklahoma school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Dewey County, Oklahoma ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Oklahoma
- Election preview: 2014 school board elections start quietly in Oklahoma
- Post election:Oklahoma school board elections see low turnout, most uncontested
- United States Census Bureau, "Oklahoma County," accessed March 19, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 15, 2014
- Oklahoma, "MESA - Current Registration Statistics by County," accessed January 15, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Putnam City Schools, "Meet Our School Board," accessed January 15, 2014
- Putnam City Schools, "Board Election districts," accessed January 15, 2014
- Oklahoma, "2014 Instructions for Filing for Annual School Elections," accessed January 15, 2014
- Oklahoma, "Candidate Information," accessed January 15, 2014
- Oklahoma Secretary of State, "County Election Results," accessed January 15, 2014
- Putnam City Schools, "2013 Technology for Learning Bond Election," accessed January 15, 2013
- Oklahoma, "Generic Calendar for Filing Campaign Contributions and Expenditure Reports(C-1's)," accessed January 15, 2014
|2014 Putnam City Schools Elections|
|Dewey County, Oklahoma|
|Election date:||February 11, 2014|
|Candidates:||District 4: • Tammy West|
|Important information:||What was at stake? • Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|