Qualifying deadline looms for Louisiana candidates
By Phil Sletten
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana: Louisiana's qualifying period for state, congressional, and local offices begins on August 15. The period, which lasts two days, provides a window for candidates to turn in any paperwork or signatures necessary to prove that they are qualified to run for office.
The qualifications are a mix of requirements from the U.S. Constitution, state law and the state constitution, and local political party decisions. These requirements vary by office, ranging from a maximum age of 70 years for judges to being of "good moral character" and being "able to read and write the English language correctly" for the Justice of the Peace. The Louisiana Secretary of State's office provides a full list of qualifications.
First Assistant Secretary of State Kyle Ardoin told The Times-Picayune that he had "no idea" as to the number of candidates that would qualify to challenge congressional incumbents. Ardoin also said that he expected the majority of the congressional filings to be complete by the end of the first day. The redistricting process in the state has resulted in Third District Congressman Jeff Landry (R) being drawn into the same district as Seventh District incumbent Charles Boustany (R).
Louisiana has the latest filing date for U.S. congress of any state this election cycle. Early voting for the November 6 elections in Louisiana, which determines which candidates go to a runoff in the December 8, 2012 general election in the state, begins on October 23.
- Signature requirements and deadlines for 2012 U.S. Congress elections
- United States House of Representatives elections in Louisiana, 2012
- Louisiana Constitution
- Louisiana Supreme Court
- The Times-Picayune, "Political pace picks up next week with candidate qualifying, legislative committee meetings," August 8, 2012
- Louisiana Secretary of State, "2012 Elections Calendar," accessed August 10, 2012
- Louisiana Secretary of State, "Qualifications of Candidates," accessed August 10, 2012
- Louisiana Secretary of State, "Candidate Information," accessed August 10, 2012