Racine Unified School District, Wisconsin
|Racine Unified School District|
|Number of schools:||34|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Dennis Wiser|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Racine Unified School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 Website evaluation
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
About the districtRacine County. According to the United States Census Bureau, Racine is home to 78,303 residents. Racine Unified School District is the fourth-largest school district in Wisconsin.
Racine underperformed in comparison to the rest of Wisconsin in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 16.6% of Racine residents aged 25 years and older had attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 26.4% for Wisconsin as a whole. The median household income in Racine was $38,789 compared to $52,627 for the state of Wisconsin. The poverty rate in Racine was 21.5% compared to 12.5% for the entire state.
The superintendent of Racine Unified School District during the 2013-2014 school year was Lolli Haws. She has served in the position since her appointment in 2013. Haws previously served as an administrator with District of Columbia Public Schools. Haws earned an annual salary of $200,000 during the 2013-2014 school year.
The Racine Board of Education consists of nine members elected at-large to three-year terms. Each member receives $300 per month in compensation.
|Racine Board of Education|
School board elections
Members of the Board of Education are elected to three-year terms on a staggered basis. Four seats are up for election on April 1, 2014. The 2014 election includes a race for an unexpired one-year term. Three seats will be up for election in April 2015 and three seats will be on the ballot in April 2016.
Public participation in board meetings
The Board of Education does not maintain published guidelines regarding public participation in board meetings.
The Racine Unified School District's budget is published on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teacher salaries at Racine Unified School District are categorized based on higher education achievement and years of service. A teacher with a Bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate degrees. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table lists salaries for district teachers during the 2013-2014 school year:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
Teachers in Racine Unified School District are represented by the Racine Education Association (REA). The president of REA during the 2013-2014 school year was Jennifer Levie.
Schools in Racine Unified School District
The district served 20,395 K-12 students during the 2013-2014 school year. The district experienced a 4.2% decrease in enrollment between 2009 and 2013. The following chart details enrollment in the district between 2009 and 2013:
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Racine Unified School District operates 34 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Racine Unified School District|
|Bull Fine Arts School|
|Case High School|
|Dr. Jones Elementary School|
|Fratt Elementary School|
|Giese Elementary School|
|Gifford Elementary School|
|Gilmore Middle School|
|Goodland Elementary School|
|Horlick High School|
|Janes Elementary School|
|Jefferson Lighthouse Elementary School|
|Jerstad-Agerholm Elementary School|
|Jerstad-Agerholm Middle School|
|Julian Thomas Elementary School|
|Keith R. Mack Alternative Program at Winslow High School|
|Keith R. Mack Alternative Program at Winslow Middle School|
|Knapp Elementary School|
|McKinley Middle School|
|Mitchell Elementary School|
|Mitchell Middle School|
|North Park Elementary School|
|Olympia Brown Elementary School|
|Park High School|
|REAL Charter High School|
|REAL Charter Middle School|
|Red Apple Elementary School|
|Roosevelt Elementary School|
|S.C. Johnson Elementary School|
|Schulte Elementary School|
|Starbuck Middle School|
|Wadewitz Elementary School|
|Walden III High School|
|Walden III Middle School|
|West Ridge Elementary School|
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction administers annual Wisconsin Student Assessment System (WSAS) tests to students throughout the state. These tests assess proficiency in math and reading among students in grades three through eight as well as tenth grade. WSAS tests also evaluate proficiency in language arts, science and social studies at grades four, eight and ten. The Department of Public Instruction publishes results from WSAS tests as part of each district's Annual District Report Card.
The Annual District Report Card compares district performance with state performance based on four criteria:
- Student Achievement: This category compares reading and math performance by district students to state and national standards.
- Student Growth: This category compares year-to-year performance on reading and math sections in WSAS tests.
- Closing Gaps: This category compares test performance by low-performing groups in the district to similar cohorts across the state.
- On-Track and Postsecondary Readiness: This category uses benchmarks including ACT scores, graduation rate, attendance rate and math achievement to assess post-graduate preparedness.
Racine Unified School District achieved an overall score of 61.2 during the 2012-2013 school year. The district's overall score led to a Meets Few Expectations designation from the Department of Public Instruction. The following table compares district performance with state performance according to the 2012-2013 Annual District Report Card:
|Annual District Report Card Grades, 2012-2013|
|Category||District score||State score|
|On-track and Postsecondary Readiness||74.1||84.9|
|Transparency grading process|
Last rated on April 6, 2012.
- Meeting information and minutes are available.
- Board members and their contact information are listed.
- Administrative contacts are listed by department.
- Labor agreements are posted.
- Annual budgets are posted.
- Open records policy and district contact provided.
- No information about taxes proposed or passed to generate revenue for schools.
- District funded lobbying is not discussed.
- Audits are not available.
- Academic performance measures are not provided.
- Background check policies and procedures are not mentioned.
- List of school districts in Wisconsin
- Racine Unified School District elections (2014)
- School Board Elections portal
- Racine Unified School District
- City of Racine, Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
- Wisconsin Association of School Boards
- Racine Education Association
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, "Wisconsin Information System for Education," accessed February 4, 2014
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, "High school completion rates," accessed February 4, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Racine, Wisconsin," accessed February 5, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Racine County Clerk, "Past elections," accessed February 5, 2014
- Racine Unified School District, "Superintendent," accessed February 5, 2014
- Lindsay Bullock, Journal Times, "No. 8: Lolli Haws hired to lead Unified," December 24, 2013
- Racine Unified School District, "Board Governance Policy," accessed February 5, 2014
- Racine Unified School District, "Annual Budget," accessed December 11, 2013
- Racine Unified School District, "2013-2014 Teacher Salary Schedule," accessed February 5, 2014
- Racine Education Association, "About the REA," accessed February 5, 2014
- Racine Unified School District, "Our Schools," accessed February 5, 2014
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, "Report Cards," accessed February 5, 2014
- Racine Unified School District, "Meetings," accessed February 5, 2014
- Racine Unified School District, "Board of Education Members," accessed February 5, 2014
- Racine Unified School District, "Contact Us," accessed February 5, 2014
- Racine Unified School District, "Salary Schedules," accessed February 5, 2014
- Racine Unified School District, "Board Postings," accessed February 5, 2014
- Racine Unified School District, "Communication," accessed February 5, 2014