Racine Unified School District elections (2014)
Method of election
Racine Unified School District
Racine County, Wisconsin ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Wisconsin
Four seats on the Racine Board of Education were up for general election on April 1, 2014. Incumbents Pamala Handrow, Melvin Hargrove, Wally Rendón and Dennis Wiser won re-election against Jacqueline Pinager and Henry Perez. Rendón was appointed in September 2013 to replace Gretchen Warner. State law required Rendón to seek election since Warner resigned prior to her last year in office. Hargrove, Handrow and Wiser won full terms while Rendón earned a one-year unexpired term by placing fourth. The leadership of the board was at stake on April 1 as Wiser serves as the board president, Hargrove serves as vice president and Handrow serves as the clerk. Thomas Fineran withdrew from the race on March 24 but his name still appeared on the ballot.
About the districtRacine, Wisconsin. Racine is the county seat of Racine County. According to the United States Census Bureau, Racine is home to 78,303 residents. Racine Unified School District is the fourth-largest school district in Wisconsin, serving 21,100 students during the 2010-2011 school year.
Racine underperformed in comparison to the rest of Wisconsin in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 16.6 percent of Racine residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.4 percent for Wisconsin as a whole. The median household income in Racine was $38,789 compared to $52,627 for the state of Wisconsin. The poverty rate in Racine was 21.5 percent compared to 12.5 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin rather than a race. Citizens may report both their race and their place of origin, and as a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table may exceed 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Racine Board of Education consists of nine members elected at-large to three-year terms. There was no primary election and the general election was held on April 1, 2014. Three seats will be up for election in 2015 and another three seats will be on the ballot in 2016.
Candidates for the Board of Education must be 18 years old, citizens of the United States and residents of the district at least 10 days before the election. Each candidate submitted at least 100 valid signatures to the Racine County Clerk by January 7, 2014.
- Thomas Fineran
- Graduate, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Former public school teacher
- Withdrew from race on March 24 but name will still appear on ballot
- Pamala Handrow
- Graduate, University of Wisconsin and Chicago Kent College of Law
- Executive director, SAFE Haven of Racine
- Melvin Hargrove
- Founder and pastor, Zoe Outreach Ministries
- Henry Perez
- Graduate, Reformed Bible College and Miami Christian College
- Member, Racine Common Council
- Jacqueline Pinager
- Graduate, Alverno College
- Clinical application coordinator, U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
- Wally Rendón
- Outreach representative, Educators Credit Union
- Dennis Wiser
- Graduate, University of Wisconsin and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Retired educator
- Member, Racine Common Council
|Racine Unified School District, At-large General Election, 3-year term, April 1, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Melvin Hargrove Incumbent||18.6%||4,326|
|Nonpartisan||Dennis Wiser Incumbent||17.2%||3,996|
|Nonpartisan||Pamala Handrow Incumbent||17%||3,954|
|Nonpartisan||Wally Rendón Incumbent||14.4%||3,355|
|Source: Racine Unified School District, "Canvass Committee Report," April 8, 2014|
Candidates received a total of $1,083.00 and spent a total of $40.67 by the March 24 pre-election reporting deadline, according to the school board secretary. State law allows candidates to claim exempt status from campaign finance reporting if contributions and expenditures do not exceed $1,000 during a calendar year.
|Candidate||Contributions||Expenditures||Cash on hand|
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
|December 1, 2013||First day to circulate nominating petitions|
|January 7, 2014||Last day to submit nominating petitions to county clerk|
|March 24, 2014||Last day to file pre-election campaign finance report|
|April 1, 2014||Election day|
|July 21, 2014||Last day to file continuing campaign finance report|
Additional elections on the ballot
The Racine Unified School District election shared the ballot with other local and county elections. Residents of Racine voted for seven seats on the Common Council. The ballot included 23 seats on the Racine County Board of Supervisors, one seat on the Court of Appeals and two seats on the Wisconsin Circuit Court.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Racine + School + District + Wisconsin"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- School board elections in Alaska and Wisconsin spark debates over budgets, academic performance
- Incumbents dominate school board elections in Alaska, Wisconsin
- Racine Unified School District, Wisconsin
- Wisconsin school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Racine County, Wisconsin ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Wisconsin
- Journal Times, "Four Unified board seats — not three — up for election," January 7, 2014
- The Journal Times, "Fineran drops out of Unified board race," March 26, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Racine, Wisconsin," accessed February 5, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Racine County Clerk, "Past elections," accessed February 5, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Ballot Access Checklist," accessed January 24, 2014
- Vote Tom Fineran, "Endorsements," accessed March 25, 2014
- Information submitted to Ballotpedia through e-mail from Patricia Meyer on March 25, 2014.
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Campaign Finance Overview: Local Candidates," May 2010
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Campaign Finance Checklist," accessed January 24, 2014
- City of Racine, "Election Information for Municipal Candidates," accessed February 6, 2014
|2014 Racine Unified School District Elections|
|Election date:||April 1, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Thomas Fineran • Pamala Handrow • Melvin Hargrove • Henry Perez • Jacqueline Pinager • Wally Rendón • Dennis Wiser|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|