|U.S. House, Louisiana, District 5|
|January 2015 - Present|
|January 3, 2017|
|Years in position||0|
|Predecessor||Vance McAllister (R)|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||December 6, 2014|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|High school||Mangham High School|
|Bachelor's||Louisiana State University|
|M.D.||Louisiana State University School of Medicine|
|Other||Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine|
|Service/branch||United States Coast Guard|
|Place of birth||Monroe, Louisiana|
|Profession||Physician and Veterinarian|
Abraham graduated from Mangham High School in 1972, and went on to earn his bachelor's degree and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from Louisiana State University in 1980. From 1986 to 1989, Abraham served in the Mississippi National Guard Special Forces. He later returned to Louisiana State and earned his M.D. in 1994.
Abraham worked as a veterinarian prior to earning his medical degree and became a general family practitioner in 1995. He has also worked as a flight instructor since 1980 and an aviation medical examiner since 2007.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Abraham's academic, professional and political career:
- 2015-Present: U.S. Representative from Louisiana's 5th Congressional District
- 1994: Graduated Louisiana State University School of Medicine with an M.D.
- 1986-1989: Mississippi National Guard Special Forces
- 1980: Graduated from Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine with a D.V.M.
- 1980: Graduated from Louisiana State University with a B.A.
Abraham serves on the following committees:
Abraham listed the following issues on his campaign website:
- Gun control
- Excerpt: "I’ll stand with you to stop our federal government from taking away our freedom and the right to protect ourselves and our families."
- Excerpt: "Obamacare is broken. As a physician, I see the problems with it everyday and know I can offer solutions to improve it."
- Excerpt: "No new taxes for businesses and individuals."
- Congressional term limits
- Excerpt: "I support term limits for Members of Congress."
- Congressional salaries
- Excerpt: "It should be an honor and a privilege to serve your country and NOT a paid position. If law dictates a salary, then I will donate the salary ($174,000/year) to charities; St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and The Independence Fund (provides TRACK Chairs for wounded Veterans who are missing both arms and legs or paralyzed.) YOU should not pay a penny for representation."
December 6, 2014
Abraham defeated Jamie Mayo in the runoff election on December 6, 2014. Both candidates placed as the top vote receivers in the election on November 4, 2014.
|U.S. House, Louisiana District 5 Runoff Election, 2014|
|Source: Louisiana Secretary of State|
November 4, 2014
|U.S. House, Louisiana District 5 General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Vance McAllister Incumbent||11.11%||26,606|
|Republican||Ed Tarpley Jr.||1.92%||4,594|
|Source: Louisiana Secretary of State|
Abraham and his wife, Dianne, have three grown children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Ralph + Abraham + Louisiana + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- Louisiana's 5th Congressional District elections, 2014
- Louisiana's 5th Congressional District
- Ralph Abraham for Congress, "Ralph Abraham For Congress," accessed June 3, 2014
- Politico, "House Election Results," accessed November 4, 2014
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Ralph Abraham for Congress, "About," accessed February 6, 2015
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, "Ralph Abraham," accessed January 26, 2015
- U.S. House of Representatives, Office of the Clerk, "Committee Information," accessed February 18, 2015
- Ralph Abraham for Congress, "Issues," accessed July 22, 2014
Vance McAllister (R)
|U.S. House of Representatives - Louisiana, District 5
| Succeeded by|