|U.S. House, Louisiana, District 5|
|January 2015 - Present|
|January 3, 2017|
|Years in position||0|
|Predecessor||Vance McAllister (R)|
|Elections and appointments|
|First elected||December 6, 2014|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|High school||Mangham High School|
|Bachelor's||Louisiana State University|
|M.D.||Louisiana State University School of Medicine|
|Other||Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine|
|Service/branch||United States Coast Guard|
Abraham grew up in northeast Louisiana. After graduating from Mangham High School in 1972, he went on to earn his bachelor's degree, Doctor Veterinary Medicine and Doctor of Medicine from Louisiana State University.
From April 1986 to June 1989, Abraham served in the United States Coast Guard.
Professionally, Abraham practiced as a veterinarian before earning his medical degree. He has practiced general family medicine since 1995. He also works as a flight instructor and aviation medical examiner.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Abraham's academic, professional and political career:
- 1980: Graduated from Louisiana State University with B.A.
- 1980: Graduated from Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine with a D.V.M.
- 1986-1989: Mississippi National Guard Special Forces
- 1994: Graduated Louisiana State University School of Medicine with a M.D.
- 2015-Present: U.S. House Representative, Louisiana's 5th Congressional District
Before entering politics, Abraham was a flight instructor, general family practitioner and aviation medical examiner.
Abraham listed the following issues on his campaign website:
- Gun control
- Excerpt: "I’ll stand with you to stop our federal government from taking away our freedom and the right to protect ourselves and our families."
- Excerpt: "Obamacare is broken. As a physician, I see the problems with it everyday and know I can offer solutions to improve it."
- Excerpt: "No new taxes for businesses and individuals."
- Congressional term limits
- Excerpt: "I support term limits for Members of Congress."
- Congressional salaries
- Excerpt: "It should be an honor and a privilege to serve your country and NOT a paid position. If law dictates a salary, then I will donate the salary ($174,000/year) to charities; St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and The Independence Fund (provides TRACK Chairs for wounded Veterans who are missing both arms and legs or paralyzed.) YOU should not pay a penny for representation."
December 6, 2014
Abraham defeated Jamie Mayo in the runoff election on December 6, 2014. Both candidates placed as the top vote receivers in the election on November 4, 2014.
|U.S. House, Louisiana District 5 Runoff Election, 2014|
|Source: Louisiana Secretary of State|
November 4, 2014
|U.S. House, Louisiana District 5 General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Vance McAllister Incumbent||11.11%||26,606|
|Republican||Ed Tarpley Jr.||1.92%||4,594|
|Source: Ralph Abraham and Jamie Mayo are headed to a runoff election on December 6, 2014.' Louisiana Secretary of State|
Abraham and his wife, Dianne, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Ralph + Abraham + Louisiana + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- Louisiana's 5th Congressional District elections, 2014
- Louisiana's 5th Congressional District
Vance McAllister (R)
|U.S. House of Representatives - Louisiana, District 5
| Succeeded by|
- Ralph Abraham for Congress, "Ralph Abraham For Congress," accessed June 3, 2014
- Politico, "House Election Results," accessed November 4, 2014
- Ralph Abraham for Congress, "Meet Ralph," accessed July 22, 2014
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, "Ralph Abraham," accessed January 26, 2015
- Ralph Abraham for Congress, "Issues," accessed July 22, 2014