For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Rancho Palos Verdes Hotel Tax, Measure TOT (November 2009)
The Terranea Resort
If Measure TOT had been approved, it would have increased the hotel tax in the city from 10% to 12%. The tax would have been charged to those who occupied any transient lodging facilities located within the city's borders, including hotels, motels, inns and resorts.
- These final election results are from the Los Angeles County election office.
Mayor Larry Clark was a primary supporter behind the move to increase the city's hotel tax.
Supporters believed that if Measure TOT had gone into effect, the city would have gained an additional $700,000 in taxes annually.
The Rancho Palos Verdes City Council had inked a deal with the newly-opened Terranea Resort to loan the resort 80% of any hotel tax revenue generated by occupancy at the resort for a 34-month period up to a cap of $8.2 million. The resort would have had to re-pay the city any funds it received under the rebate by December 31, 2013. However, Lowe Enterprises, owner of the Terranea Resort, was not able to obtain the consent of lenders to this plan, so it was abandoned. As part of the agreement that ultimately fell through, Lowe Enterprises had agreed not to oppose the increase in the city's hotel tax.
The question on the ballot:
|Measure TOT: "Shall an ordinance be adopted to increase the rate of the City’s existing transient occupancy tax from ten percent (10%) to twelve percent (12%)?"|
- Website of the City of Rancho Palos Verdes
- Website of the Terranea Resort
- List of November 2009 local ballot measures in Los Angeles County
- Daily Breeze, "Rancho Palos Verdes moves to put tax measure on ballot," June 17, 2009
- Daily Breeze, "RPV prepares to vote on hotel tax hike," October 24, 2009
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.