Rapid City Area School District, South Dakota
|Rapid City Area School District|
|Rapid City, South Dakota|
|Superintendent:||Timothy M. Mitchell|
|Number of schools:||24|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Sheryl Kirkeby|
About the districtPennington County, South Dakota. According to the 2010 Census, Minnehaha County is home to 100,948 residents.
Pennington County outperformed in comparison to the rest of South Dakota in terms of education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 27.8 of Pennington County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 26.0% for South Dakota as a whole. The median household income for Pennington County was $50,253 compared to $49,091 for the state of South Dakota. The percentage of people below poverty level for Pennington County was 13.2% while it was 13.8% for the state of South Dakota.
Timothy M. Mitchell is the superintendent of Rapid City Area School District. Mitchell has served in this role since July 2010. Prior to joining Rapid City Area Schools, Mitchell served for 13 years as the superintendent of Chamberlain School District. Mitchell earned his Bachelor's degree from Yankton College and earned his Master's and doctoral degrees from the University of South Dakota.
The Rapid City Area School District Board of Education is composed of seven members serving three-year terms.
|Rapid City Area Board of Education|
School board elections
Members of the Rapid City Area Board of Education are elected to three-year terms. The general election for two seats is to be held on June 3, 2014. Two seats were up for election in 2013 and Three seats will be up for election in 2015.
Rapid City Area School District publishes its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Rapid City Area School District employed 868 K-12 teachers during the 2012-2013 school year. Teacher salaries are categorized based on higher education achievement, professional development and years of service. A teacher with a Bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate courses with raises at credit intervals. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table details the salary schedule negotiated between the district and the Rapid City Education Association for 2013-2014:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
|BA + 15||31,484||42,192|
|BA + 30||32,744||46,073|
|BA + 45||34,053||50,313|
|MA + 15||35,415||52,325|
|MA + 30||36,832||57,139|
|MA + 45||38,305||59,424|
Schools in Rapid City Area School District
Rapid City Area School District serves 13,982 students. Rapid City Area School District does not publicly archive enrollment data.
Rapid City Area School District operates 24 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Rapid City Area School District|
|Black Hawk Elementary|
|Canyon Lake Elementary|
|Corral Drive Elementary|
|General Beadle Elementary|
|Horace Mann Elementary|
|Rapid City High|
|Rapid Valley Elementary|
|South Canyon Elementary|
|South Park Elementary|
|Western Dakota Technical|
South Dakota holds annual measurable objectives in reading and math. The latest available data is from the 2012-2013 school year. The percent of Rapid City Area School District students demonstrating proficiency in reading and math continued to exceed the annual proficiency goals set by the State for the Dakota. The District high school completion rate was 79.64% in 2013 and the attendance percentage was 94.12%. All schools met the required participation rate.
|Rapid City School District Proficiency 2012-2013|
|Subject||Students Tested||% Below Basic||% Basic||% Proficient||% Advanced|
- South Dakota
- South Dakota school districts
- List of school districts in South Dakota
- Rapid City Area School District elections (2014)
- School board elections portal
- Rapid City Area School District
- Rapid City, South Dakota
- Rapid City Education Association
- Pennington County, South Dakota
- South Dakota Department of Education
- Associated School Boards of South Dakota
- South Dakota Department of Education, "Rapid City Area School District," accessed April 3, 2014
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- United States Census Bureau, "Pennington County, South Dakota," accessed April 3, 2013
- LinkedIn, "Dr. Timothy Mitchell," accessed April 3, 2014
- Rapid City Area School District, "Board of Education Members," accessed April 3, 2014
- http://sdsos.gov/content/html/elections/electvoterpdfs/2014/ElectionCandidates.pdf South Dakota Secretary of State, "Current Candidates for Primary Election - 6/3/2014," accessed March 13, 2014]
- U.S. Census, "Public Elementary–Secondary Education Finance Data," Accessed December 11, 2013
- Rapid City Area School District, "2013-2014 Salary Schedule For Nurses, Teachers, and Counselors," accessed April 3, 2014
- Rapid City Area School District, "Phone directory," accessed April 3, 2014
- Rapid City Area School District, "2012-2013 Report Card," accessed April 3, 2014