|Tennessee House of Representatives, District 91|
|January 14, 2014 - Present|
|November 7, 2016|
|Years in position||0|
|Per diem||$188/legislative day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 21, 2013|
Elections for 99 seats in the Tennessee House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on August 7, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 3, 2014. Incumbent Raumesh Akbari defeated Doris DeBerry-Bradshaw in the Democratic primary. Samuel Watkins defeated Orrden Williams, Jr. in the Republican primary. Akbari defeated Watkins in the general election.
|Tennessee House of Representatives District 91, General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Raumesh A. Akbari Incumbent||81.9%||8,053|
|Republican||Samuel (Sam) Watkins||18.1%||1,777|
|Tennessee House of Representatives, District 91 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Raumesh Akbari Incumbent||55.7%||3,964|
|Tennessee House of Representatives, District 91 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Orrden Williams, Jr.||14.3%||106|
Akbari won election in a special election for Tennessee House of Representatives District 91. The seat was vacant following Rep. Lois DeBerry (D)'s death on July 29, 2013, from pancreatic cancer. Akbari defeated Kemba Ford, Dwight DeBerry, Doris DeBerry-Bradshaw, Joshua R. Forbes, Terica Lamb, Clifford Lewis and Kermit Moore in the Democratic primary on October 8. Akbari defeated Jim Tomasik (L) in the special election, which took place on November 21.
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2013, the 108th Tennessee General Assembly, first year, was in session from January 8 to April 19. In 2014, the 108th Tennessee General Assembly, second year, was in session from January 14 to April 18.
- Tennessee National Federation of Independent Business: 2013-2014 Voting Record
- Legislators are scored on their votes on key small business issues.
- Tennessee Conservation Voters: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes relating to conservation and environmental issues.
- Tennessee Voters for Animal Protection: 2014 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on animal protection bills.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Raumesh + Akbari + Tennessee + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Tennessee State Legislature
- Tennessee House of Representatives
- Tennessee House of Representatives Committees
- Tennessee Joint Committees
- Tennessee state legislative districts
- Official campaign website
- Profile from the Tennessee State House
- Profile from Open States
- Raumesh Akbari on Facebook
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Tennessee Secretary of State, "August 7, 2014 Election Results," accessed September 11, 2014
- Tennessee Secretary of State, "Petitions Filed for State Senate and State House of Representatives," accessed April 5, 2014
- memphisdailynews.com, "11 File For State House District 91 Special Election," August 30, 2013
- shelbyvote.com, "Certified Candidate List," accessed September 6, 2013 (dead link)
- memphisdailynews.com, "Akbari Wins Democratic State House Primary," October 9, 2013
- memphisdailynews.com, "'No' Pre-K Votes and Akbari Take Early Voting," November 22, 2013
Lois DeBerry (D)
|Tennessee House of Representatives, District 91
| Succeeded by|
State of Tennessee
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environment & Conservation | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | Chairman of Regulatory Authority |