Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Elections and appointments|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
The seat will be open as current Auditor Samantha Shaw (R) is term-limited and unable to seek re-election.
At the outset of his campaign, Bryan announced his intent to have the office of State Auditor abolished via constitutional amendment, and to have its duties absorbed by other parts of the state government, such as Examiners of Public Accounts. He claimed this proposal fit with recent legislative efforts to consolidate the state government. A spokesman for Senator Del Marsh, who was involved in some of these efforts, stated that Senate's reorganization efforts had focused on departments with larger budgets and did not include plans for abolishing the office.  Adam Thompson, who is also seeking the Republican nomination for the position, spoke against Bryan’s plan on the basis that the State Auditor is an elected position, as opposed to the Alabama Department of Examiners of Public Accounts, which is a legislative agency. He stated that, "The Examiners of Public Accounts is a legislative agency and answers to the Legislature. The auditor is independently elected and answers to the people.” The Alabama Chief Examiner, who heads the Examiners of Public Accounts, is a legislatively appointed position.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Ray + Bryan + Alabama + Auditor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- ↑ Ray Bryan for Auditor 2014 Official Campaign Website, "Home," accessed June 12, 2013
- ↑ Politics1, "State Constitutional Officers 2014 Elections," accessed June 12, 2013
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Montgomery Advertiser "Candidate seeks to end Alabama auditor's office," accessed June 12, 2013.
- ↑ Anniston Star "Bryan seeks state auditor's office so he can close it," accessed June 16, 2013.
- ↑ Alabama Department of Examiners of Public Accounts "About Us," accessed June 16, 2013.
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|