Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|New Jersey State Senate, District 12|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force and Air National Guard|
|Years of service||1964 to 1992|
|Birthday||December 26, 1941|
|Place of birth||Lisman, Alabama|
Born in Lisman, Alabama, Dothard graduated from Tuskegee University with a B.S. in Chemistry in 1964. Dothard worked as a commercial pilot for Eastern Airlines, Trump Shuttle and US Airways before becoming the chief pilot of US Airways Shuttle. After retiring from US Airways in 2001, Dothard worked as a FAA aviation safety inspector from 2002 to 2012. Dothard also spent 28 years, from 1964 to 1992, in the United States Air Force and the Air National Guard.
Dothard's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Property Taxes: "Reinstate the property tax rebate. Utilize more of the state income tax and state sale tax for school funding. This will take some of the burden off of the homeowner. It will also protect seniors from being taxed out of their homes and in some cases out of the state due to the burden of high property taxes."
- Jobs: "Prioritize increasing employment opportunities. Offer industry incentives to locate in New Jersey and hire from within the state. Fast track investments in infrastructure repair and rebuilding to create jobs and improve our transportation systems. This will grow our economy and create opportunities for our workforce."
- Education: "At the state level, work to constrain the rising cost of higher education. Provide more financial aid to students who need it. Make college loans more available at greatly reduced interest rates. Identify, monitor and invest in our “failing” schools to assure that all students receive an education that provides the skills necessary for success. Facilitating an exodus of our best students from our public system by providing school vouchers is not the answer."
- Healthcare: "Support the Affordable Care Act. Fund women’s health care programs such as mammograms, cancer screening and prenatal care. These programs save women lives and reduce health care cost by early detection of many deadly diseases. More should be done to promote wellness of all of our citizens. Early detection creates a healthier community and cuts costs by identifying treatable illnesses in their early stages."
- Minimum Wage: "Strongly support raising the wage from $7.25 to $8.25 an hour."
- Energy / Environment: "Increase investment in renewable green energy sources such as wind and solar. This will help to reduce our carbon “footprint” caused by the burning of fossil fuels for energy. This in turn will reduce the greenhouse gas effect."
- Gun Control: "Close the gun show loophole all over the USA. And support smaller magazine capacity, Universal Background Checks and implement Gun Safety programs for all gun purchasers."
- Veterans Affairs: "We must make sure the VA New Jersey Healthcare System provides all necessary services to returning New Jersey veterans."
- Right of Workers to Collective Bargaining: "Since 1935, the National Labor Relations Act has governed collective bargaining in the United States. Having been a union member for more than forty years, as a New Jersey State Senator, I will always support the right of workers to enter collective bargaining."
- See also: New Jersey State Senate elections, 2013
Dothard ran in the 2013 election for New Jersey State Senate District 12. Dothard was unopposed in the June 4 Democratic primary. He was defeated by incumbent Samuel D. Thompson (R) in the general election, which took place on November 5, 2013.
|New Jersey State Senate, District 12 General Election, 2013|
|Republican||Samuel Thompson Incumbent||65.4%||32,911|
|Democratic||Raymond D. Dothard||34.6%||17,440|
- The New Jersey AFL-CIO
- The Sierra Club
Dothard currently resides in Millstone Township, New Jersey.
Dothard serves as the Democratic County committeeman for the First District in Millstone Township and as treasurer for the Millstone Township Democratic Organization.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Raymond + Dothard + New Jersey + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign website
- Millstone County Democrats - Meet Raymond Dothard
- Facebook page
- New Jersey Department of State, Unofficial general election candidates
- New Jersey Department of State, "Official 2013 Primary Candidates," accessed April 15, 2013
- The Millstone Democrats
- "Raymond Dothard for Senator," "Issues," Accessed September 3, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, "Official Primary Election Results," accessed July 26, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, "Official general election candidates," September 9, 2013
- Associated Press, "New Jersey - Summary Vote Results," November 6, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, "2013 Official General Election results," accessed December 5, 2013
- PolitickerNJ.com, "AFL-CIO endorses candidates for elections," accessed September 3, 2013
- Sierra Club, New Jersey Chapter, "NJ Chapter's State Legislative Endorsements," accessed September 3, 2013