Recall organizer running for Wisconsin Sen. Scott Fitzgerald's seat
By: Greg Janetka
MADISON, Wisconsin: Lori Compas, the organizer behind the recall campaign targeting Scott Fitzgerald (R), is officially in the race for District 13. While she filed a campaign registration statement with the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board on February 22, the State Senate Democratic Committee announced her candidacy yesterday. Compas, a 41 year old photographer and writer, is the only candidate to declare against Fitzgerald.
Compas said she would campaign about the issues citizens brought up to her during the recall drive, including job creation, affordable access to health care and restoring open government. In her announcement she stated, “This movement isn’t about me … it’s about all of us. It’s about our belief that people should matter more than money. It’s about our expectation that government should be open and honest. It’s about the simple belief that our legislators should work hard on our behalf and represent us honorably.”
Fitzgerald responded by stressing his experience, saying, “Unlike my opponent, I have a proven track record and real plan to improve our business climate and create jobs.”
The recall effort against Fitzgerald began back on November 15, 2011, when organizers filed a petition to collect signatures. On the January 17 deadline they turned in some 20,600 signatures - well over the 16,742 that were required. Fitzgerald submitted a challenge on February 9, contesting more than 4,300 of the signatures. The Government Accountability Board has until March 19 to decide whether or not enough of the signatures are valid to schedule the recall.
- Timeline of events of the recall of Wisconsin State Senators in 2012
- Scott Walker recall, Wisconsin (2012)
- Rebecca Kleefisch recall, Wisconsin (2012)
- Recall of Wisconsin State Senators (2011)
- Scott Fitzgerald recall, Wisconsin State Senate (2012)
- Van Wanggaard recall, Wisconsin State Senate (2012)
- Terry Moulton recall, Wisconsin State Senate (2012)
- Pam Galloway recall, Wisconsin State Senate (2012)
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board
him and him and him