|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 65A|
|2011 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Southern Illinois University|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Scorecards
- 7 Personal
- 8 Recent news
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Moran earned her bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education from Southern Illinois University. Her professional experience includes working a Parent Leader Coordinator with Prevent Child Abuse Minnesota, and lead organizer with Urban Embassy.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Moran served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Early Childhood and Youth Development Policy|
|• Education Finance|
|• Health and Human Services Finance|
|• Health and Human Services Policy, Vice-chair|
|• Housing Finance and Policy|
Moran's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "Rena plans to create jobs for community members and help get Minnesotans back to work. Having gone through periods of trying to raise her family on a minimum wage job, Rena understands the importance of creating and protecting family-sustaining wage jobs."
- Excerpt: "Rena believes that every child in Minnesota deserves a great education, regardless of where they live and will fight to give urban school children the same quality of education that their peers in affluent suburbs receive."
- Excerpt: "Rena supports a single-payer, universal healthcare system."
Public Safety and Justice
- Excerpt: "We all deserve safe neighborhoods and a sense of peace as we go about our daily lives. Our law enforcement deserves the support of our full community. It is an incredible responsibility to keep us safe and protect our neighborhoods in the face of real danger. "
- Excerpt: "Public transportation is the wave of the future. It is environmentally friendly, reduces congestion, creates jobs and spurs local development."
Elections for the office of Minnesota House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 12, 2014, and a general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 3, 2014. Rena Moran was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Anthony Meschke was unopposed in the Republican primary. Lena Buggs is running as a Green Party candidate.
Moran won re-election in the 2012 election for Minnesota House of Representatives District 65A. She ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 14 and defeated Daniel Lipp (R) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 65A, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Rena Moran Incumbent||84.7%||13,263|
Moran won election to the District 65A seat in 2010. She defeated Democratic candidate Jeremiah Ellis in the August 10 Democratic primary. She defeated Paul Holmgren (R) in the general election on November 2, 2010.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 65A (2010)|
|Rena Moran (DFL)||5,149||79.31%|
|Paul Holmgren (R)||1,313||20.22%|
Comprehensive donor information for Moran is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Moran raised a total of $58,952 during that time period. This information was last updated on December 14, 2013.
|Rena Moran's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Minnesota House, District 65A||$23,841|
|2010||Minnesota House, District 65A||$35,111|
|Grand Total Raised||$58,952|
2012Moran won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Moran raised a total of $23,841.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Rena Moran's campaign in 2012|
|Friends of Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party Women||$500|
|Building Trades C1||$300|
|Total Raised in 2012||$23,841|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2010, Moran raised $35,111 in contributions.
Her largest contributor was the Public Fund, which donated $6,551 to her campaign.
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score."
Moran and her husband, John Stewart, have seven children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Rena + Moran + Minnesota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Office website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- "renaforrep," Official Campaign Website
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "State Canvassing Board Report," August 19, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2014 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed July 25, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed June 18, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2010 Election Results," accessed March 9, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Moran, Rena," accessed December 14, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2013," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2012," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2011," accessed May 15, 2014
Cy Thao (DFL)
|Minnesota House of Representatives District 65A
| Succeeded by|
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |