Republican nominee wins Missouri congressional special election
Jefferson City, Missouri: Republicans continue to maintain control of the state's 8th District as nominee Jason T. Smith managed to defeat several challengers, including fellow state representative Steve Hodges (D), to win the vacant 8th Congressional District seat in Missouri. Smith, a member of the Missouri House of Representatives, was serving as the President Pro Tempore.
There were no special primary elections. Instead, the state party committees selected their nominees. Candidates nominated by the political parties had until March 30, 2013 to file their candidacy with the secretary of state. Polls for the special election opened at 6 a.m. and closed at 7 p.m.
Smith will succeed Jo Ann Emerson (R), whose resignation ended a 32-year-run of Emerson family representation in Congress. Emerson officially resigned on January 22, 2013 to become president and chief executive officer of the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association.. She had held the seat since 1996, when she won a special election to succeed her late husband, Bill Emerson.
Voter turnout for special elections tend to be extraordinarily low, with a lot of variables working against high turnout, like the election’s timing, no incumbent and candidates who were selected by committee.
|U.S. House, Missouri District 8 Special General Election, 2013|
|Republican||Jason T. Smith||67.1%||42,141|
|Write-in||Thomas W. Brown||0.1%||85|
|Write-in||Theo Brown Sr.||0%||0|
|Source: Missouri Division of Elections "2013 Special Election Results"|
- Missouri's 8th Congressional District special election, 2013
- Missouri elections, 2013
- United States House of Representatives
- Missouri's 8th Congressional District
- Special elections to the 113th United States Congress (2013-2014)
- Missouri's Election Division
- Upcoming Elections
- Election Results
- Missouri Established Political Parties
- Politico, "Republican wins Missouri special election" accessed June 4, 2013
- Missouri Secretary of State elections division, "Special Election 2013" accessed June 4, 2013
- The Washington Post, "Missouri Rep. Jo Ann Emerson to resign from House," December 3, 2012
- Missouri Secretary of State, "Special Election," accessed February 1, 2013
- Daily Journal, "Candidates seek 8th Congressional District seat" accessed June 2, 2013
- The Hill, "Emerson’s resignation sets off free-for-all in Missouri House race," January 22, 2013
- KAKE.com, "Missouri Holding Special Election For 8th Congress Seat" accessed June 4, 2013 (dead link)
- WSIU "MO 8th Election is Tuesday" accessed June 4, 2013
- Washington Post, "Republicans nominate Jason Smith for Missouri special election," February 9, 2013
- WGEM "Mo. US House hopefuls cite Obama, Social Security" accessed June 2, 2013