For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Rhode Island Auditor General
The current officeholder is Dennis Hoyle.
The office of the auditor general was created in 1974 by the Rhode Island General Assembly. Audits are conducted as required by statute or as directed by the Joint Committee on Legislative Services.
Title 22, Section 13 of the Rhode Island general laws establishes the qualifications of the office:
- active experience in general accounting principles and practices for at least 5 years
- adequate technical training and proficiency
- baccalaureate degree from a college or university
Title 22 also stipulates that vacancies in the office of auditor shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment: appointed by the joint committee on legislative services of the general assembly.
The office of the auditor general serves as a liaison between the state government of Rhode Island and its municipalities. It evaluates state government programs and financial operations for the general assembly.
The specific duties of the auditor are outlined in Title 22, Section 13 of the Rhode Island general laws. The auditor has the authority to make post-audits and performance audits of:
- public records
- all state agencies, including the board of governors for higher education and the board of regents for elementary and secondary education
- accounts and records of any other public body or political subdivision
- accounts and records of any association or corporation created or established by any general or special law
- accounts and records of any person, association, or corporation to which monies of the state have been appropriated by the general assembly
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Office of the Rhode Island Auditor General
86 Weybosset Street
Providence, RI 02903-2800
Phone: (401) 222-2435
Fax: (401) 222-2111
E-mail: Auditor General
- OAG.state.RI.us, "About us," accessed October 11, 2011
- Rhode Island general laws, "Title 22: General Assembly, Section 13-1: Appointment; Qualifications; Oath; Bond; Office space; Rules and regulations" accessed October 11, 2011
- Rhode Island general laws, "Title 22: General Assembly, Section 13-4: Definitions; Duties of auditor general; Investigations by committee," accessed October 11, 2011
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 29, 2014