Rhode Island House of Representatives District 59
|Rhode Island House of Representatives District 59|
|Current incumbent||J. Patrick O'Neill|
|Ethnicity||20.6% Black, 19.1% Hispanic|
|Voting age||78.7% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 13,750 civilians reside within Rhode Island's fifty-ninth state house district. Rhode Island state representatives represent an average of 14,034 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 13,978 residents.
About the chamber
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Rhode Island Legislature are paid $14,185.95/year during legislative sessions. Legislators receive no per diem.
If there is a vacancy in the house, a special election must be held to fill the vacant seat. The Secretary of State must call for an election to be held anywhere from 70 to 90 days after the vacancy occurred. No election can be held if the vacancy happens after the first Monday in February during an election year. The person elected to fill the seat serves for the remainder of the unfilled term.
Elections for the office of Rhode Island House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on September 9, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 25, 2014. John Arcaro will face Jean P. Barros in the Democratic primary. Robert P. Venturini is running as an Independent candidate.
Elections for the office of Rhode Island House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on September 11, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 27, 2012. Incumbent J. Patrick O'Neill (D) was unopposed in the general election and defeated John Arcaro in the Democratic primary.
|Rhode Island House of Representatives, District 59, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||J. Patrick O'Neill Incumbent||98.4%||3,643|
|Rhode Island House of Representatives, District 59 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|J. Patrick O'Neill||55.7%||630|
Since 2000, candidates for Rhode Island House of Representatives District 59 have raised a total of $367,733. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $20,430 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Rhode Island House of Representatives District 59|
|* Campaign finance data for 2012 is incomplete for this district.|
- Rhode Island General Assembly
- Rhode Island State Senate
- Rhode Island House of Representatives
- Rhode Island state legislative districts
- publicmapping.org, "Rhode Island 2010 Census Selected Statistics," accessed October 30, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Rhode Island Legislature, "Rhode Island General Laws," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 17-3-6 (a))
- Rhode Island Legislature, "Rhode Island General Laws," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 17-3-6 (b))
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "Candidates for Representative in General Assembly," accessed June 30, 2014
- "Rhode Island Secretary of State - Official General Election Results," accessed October 30, 2013
- "Rhode Island Secretary of State - Official Primary Election Results," accessed October 30, 2013