Rhode Island State Senate District 13
|Rhode Island State Senate District 13|
|Current incumbent||M. Teresa Paiva Weed|
|Ethnicity||6.9% Black, 5.6% Hispanic|
|Voting age||83% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 27,057 civilians reside within Rhode Island's thirteenth state senate district. Rhode Island state senators represent an average of 27,699 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 27,587 residents.
About the chamber
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Rhode Island Legislature are paid $14,185.95/year during legislative sessions. Legislators receive no per diem.
If there is a vacancy in the senate, a special election must be held to fill the vacant seat. The Secretary of State must call for an election to be held anywhere from 70 to 90 days after the vacancy occurred. No election can be held if the vacancy happens after the first Monday in February during an election year. The person elected to fill the seat serves for the remainder of the unfilled term.
Elections for the office of Rhode Island State Senate will consist of a primary election on September 9, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 25, 2014. Incumbent M. Teresa Paiva Weed is unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Michael W. Smith is unopposed in the Republican primary.
Elections for the office of Rhode Island State Senate consisted of a primary election on September 11, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 27, 2012. Incumbent M. Teresa Paiva Weed (D) defeated Geoffrey William Cook (R) in the general election. Neither candidate faced opposition in their primary.
|Rhode Island State Senate, District 13, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||M. Teresa Paiva Weed Incumbent||70.1%||7,757|
Since 2000, candidates for Rhode Island State Senate District 13 have raised a total of $691,539. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $53,195 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Rhode Island State Senate District 13|
|* Campaign finance data for 2012 is incomplete for this district.|
- Rhode Island General Assembly
- Rhode Island State Senate
- Rhode Island House of Representatives
- Rhode Island state legislative districts
- publicmapping.org, "Rhode Island 2010 Census Selected Statistics," accessed October 30, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Rhode Island Legislature, "Rhode Island General Laws," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 17-3-6 (a))
- Rhode Island Legislature, "Rhode Island General Laws," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 17-3-6 (b))
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "Candidates for Senator in General Assembly," accessed June 30, 2014
- "Rhode Island Secretary of State - Official General Election Results," accessed October 30, 2013
- "Rhode Island Secretary of State - Official Primary Election Results," accessed October 30, 2013