Rhode Island State Senate District 34
|Rhode Island State Senate District 34|
|Current incumbent||Catherine Cool Rumsey|
|Ethnicity||1.1% Black, 1.6% Hispanic|
|Voting age||77.2% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 30,357 civilians reside within Rhode Island's thirty-fourth state senate district. Rhode Island state senators represent an average of 27,699 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 27,587 residents.
About the chamber
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Rhode Island Legislature are paid $14,185.95/year during legislative sessions. Legislators receive no per diem.
If there is a vacancy in the senate, a special election must be held to fill the vacant seat. The Secretary of State must call for an election to be held anywhere from 70 to 90 days after the vacancy occurred. No election can be held if the vacancy happens after the first Monday in February during an election year. The person elected to fill the seat serves for the remainder of the unfilled term.
Elections for the office of Rhode Island State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place September 9, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 25, 2014. Incumbent Catherine Cool Rumsey was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Elaine Morgan was unopposed in the Republican primary. Cameron Ennis is running as an Independent candidate. Cool Rumsey, Morgan and Ennis will face off in the general election.
Elections for the office of Rhode Island State Senate consisted of a primary election on September 11, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 27, 2012. Catherine Cool Rumsey (D) defeated incumbent Francis Maher (R) in the general election and was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Maher defeated Paul R. Mcfadden in the Republican primary.
|Rhode Island State Senate, District 34, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Catherine Cool Rumsey||55.1%||7,150|
|Republican||Francis Maher, Jr. Incumbent||44.8%||5,809|
|Rhode Island State Senate, District 34 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Frank Maher Incumbent||77.4%||473|
Since 2000, candidates for Rhode Island State Senate District 34 have raised a total of $160,390. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $9,435 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Rhode Island State Senate District 34|
|* Campaign finance data for 2012 is incomplete for this district.|
- Rhode Island General Assembly
- Rhode Island State Senate
- Rhode Island House of Representatives
- Rhode Island state legislative districts
- publicmapping.org, "Rhode Island 2010 Census Selected Statistics," accessed October 30, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Rhode Island Legislature, "Rhode Island General Laws," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 17-3-6 (a))
- Rhode Island Legislature, "Rhode Island General Laws," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 17-3-6 (b))
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "Candidates for Senator in General Assembly," accessed June 30, 2014
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "Official General Election Results," accessed October 30, 2013
- "Rhode Island Secretary of State - Official Primary Election Results," accessed October 30, 2013