Rhode Island Transportation Bonds, Question 1 (2008)
Both bond measures were approved by voters, and the total amount is $89,715,000 ($89.715 million).
See also 2008 ballot measure election results
These results are based on the Channel 10's coverage of the election.
|Rhode Island Question 1 (2008)|
Bond Question 1 enacted the following provisions:
- Authorized the Rhode Island state government to borrow $87,215,000.
- With the money, provided funds to the Department of Transportation to match available federal funds and to provide direct funding for improvements to the State's highways, roads and bridges.
- Matched available federal funds and to provide direct funding for commuter rail.
- Purchased new buses and/or rehabilitate existing buses in the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority's bus fleet.
- Governor Don Carcieri
- Representative Robert Watson, R-30th District
- Construction Industries of Rhode Island
Arguments in Support
Arguments made in support of the measure included:
- Without the passage of this state bond, Rhode Island would have to return federal transportation funds totaling $436 million to Washington, D.C. Those dollars would then be redistributed to other states. Rhode Island would then get nothing for its highways and bridges for the next two fiscal years.
- Fewer construction projects equate to fewer jobs, and there are economic ramifications that come with that, including a loss of construction jobs.
- Funding revenues of old can no longer keep up with the aging infrastructure needs, and decisions must be made to prevent the system from drowning.
No groups have reported raising money to oppose the referendum
- Rhode Island 2008 ballot measures
- List of Rhode Island ballot measures
- 2008 ballot measures
- Rhode Island statewide bond questions.
- Channel 10 News, 2008 Election Results (dead link)
- Herald News: " Question 1 approval critical to R.I. future, 10-18-08," Oct 18, 2008
- South County Independent: "EDITORIAL: Bonds deserve local support," Oct 24, 2008 (dead link)
- Forbes.com: "RI voters weigh borrowing $87M for transportation," Oct 13, 2008 (dead link)
State of Rhode Island
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | General Treasurer | Auditor General | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Environmental Management | Director of Labor | Chair of Public Utilities |