Rhode Island down ballot state executive elections, 2014
September 9, 2014
November 4, 2014
Governor • Lt. Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General
- 1 Treasurer
- 2 Past elections
- 3 Campaign finance
- 4 Key deadlines
- 5 Recent news
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
- 8 References
Incumbent Gina Raimondo (D) did not file for re-election in 2014, opting instead to run for governor. Newcomer Seth Magaziner (D) faced independent candidate and former auditor general Ernest Almonte in the general election. Seth Magaziner won election to a four-year term.
Rhode Island is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Unaffiliated voters may vote in a party's primary, but they will then be considered affiliated with that party. In order to disaffiliate, they must file a "Change of Party Designation" form.
Filed for other office
Gina Raimondo - Incumbent
Lost in primary
|Rhode Island Treasurer, Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Election Results via Rhode Island Board of Elections.|
|Rhode Island Treasurer, 2014|
|Election Results via State of Rhode Island.|
The treasurer serves as the state's chief banker. This official is responsible for receiving and disbursing all state funds, issuing general obligation notes and bonds, managing the investments of state funds and overseeing the retirement system for state employees, teachers and some municipal employees. The treasurer also manages the unclaimed property division, the crime victim compensation program and the CollegeBound fund.
|Rhode Island General Treasurer, 2010|
|Republican||Kernan F. King||37.9%||122,860|
|Election Results via Rhode Island Board of Elections|
Comprehensive donor information for this election has been collected by Follow the Money. Based on available campaign finance records, the candidates raised a raised a total of $1,813,330 during the election. This information was last updated on April 6, 2015.
|Campaign Contribution Totals|
|Seth Magaziner||Rhode Island Treasurer||$1,333,611|
|Ernest Almonte||Rhode Island Treasurer||$380,699|
|Frank Caprio||Rhode Island Treasurer||$99,020|
|Grand Total Raised||$1,813,330|
|June 25, 2014||Filing deadline|
|September 9, 2014||Primary election|
|November 4, 2014||General election|
|November 12, 2014||Last day for recount requests|
|January 6, 2015||Inaugurations for executive officials|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Rhode + Island + treasurer + election"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Rhode Island Board of Elections Website, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed January 3, 2014
- Rhode Island Public Radio, "Seth Magaziner Considering a Run for Treasurer in 2014," May 16, 2013
- Providence Journal, "Seth Magaziner announces candidacy for RI state treasurer," October 22, 2013
- Providence Journal, "Almonte won't rule out running for treasurer instead of governor in 2014," April 30, 2013
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "Candidates," accessed June 27, 2014
- WPRI, "Frank Caprio eying 2014 comeback campaign for treasurer," April 26, 2013
- '"Treasury.RI.gov, "Mission & duties," accessed October 7, 2011
- Follow the Money, "Overview of Rhode Island 2014 elections," accessed April 7, 2015
State of Rhode Island
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | General Treasurer | Auditor General | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Environmental Management | Director of Labor | Chair of Public Utilities |