|California State Assembly District 50|
|December 3, 2012-present|
|December 1, 2014|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||12 years|
|Mayor, Santa Monica, California|
|High school||Fairfax Senior High School (1971)|
|Bachelor's||University of California, Berkeley (1975)|
|J.D.||Loyola Law School Los Angeles (1978)|
Bloom earned his Bachelor's degree in Communications and Public Policy from University of California, Berkeley in 1975 and his J.D. from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles in 1978.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Bloom served on the following committees:
|California Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Arts, Entertainment, Sports, Tourism, and Internet Media|
|• Environmental Safety and Toxic Materials|
|• Higher Education|
|• Fisheries and Aquaculture|
Bloom's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "The greatest challenge the Assembly defeated is putting California on a fair, responsible and sustainable fiscal path. "
- Excerpt: "My wife, Robbie, and I raised two children who attended our fine public schools. Like most parents, we are proud that Zac and Emmett attended great colleges and are now making their way in the world pursuing exciting careers."
- Excerpt: "My record as a strong steward of California's environment is well known. Throughout my public career, I have led on issue after issue, making sure that we leave a better environment to our children and that we enact sustainable policies to protect our land and oceans well into the future."
Facial scrub ban
In April 2014, Bloom supported a ban on microbeads, which are small non-biodegradable plastic particles in facial scrubs and soaps. The microbeads make their way past sewage and water treatment facilities and into rivers and streams. “We have no choice but to eliminate this pollution at the source,” Bloom said in an interview. “Waiting will only compound the problem and the price of cleaning up.” He also said that the particles can be ingested by fish, crabs, and shellfish, which could then be eaten by humans. “We lived without microbeads before they went into products and we can live without them afterwards,” said Bloom.
Elections for the office of California State Assembly will consist of a primary election on June 3, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 7, 2014. Incumbent Richard Bloom (D) will face Bradly S. Torgan (R) in the blanket primary.
Bloom won election in the 2012 election for California State Assembly District 50. He advanced past the blanket primary on June 5, 2012, defeating Torie Osborn (D) and Bradly Torgan (R). Bloom defeated incumbent Betsy Butler (D) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|California State Assembly, District 50, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Betsy Butler Incumbent||49.5%||91,740|
Comprehensive donor information for Bloom is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Bloom raised a total of $862,409 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 14, 2013.
|Richard Bloom's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||California State Assembly, District 50||$862,409|
|Grand Total Raised||$862,409|
2012Bloom won election to the California State Assembly in 2012. During that election cycle, Bloom raised a total of $862,409.
|California State Assembly 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Richard Bloom's campaign in 2012|
|Excel Property Management Services, Inc.||$7,800|
|Equity Office Properties||$7,800|
|Mani Brothers, LLC||$7,800|
|Kilroy Realty LP||$7,800|
|California Chamber of Commerce||$7,500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$862,409|
|Source:Follow the Money|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Richard + Bloom + California + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- California State Legislature
- California State Assembly
- California Assembly Committees
- California State Assembly District 50
- Campaign website
- California State Assembly - Richard Bloom
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Facebook page
- Twitter feed
- Wehonews.com, "Butler announces for WeHo Assembly," September 12, 2011
- Richard Bloom Facebook Page "Info" Accessed October 10, 2012
- richardbloom.com, "Issues," accessed March 13, 2014
- WatchDog.org "Nanny-state state of the week: CA lawmaker wants to ban certain facial scrubs," April 4, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official 2014 Primary election candidate list," accessed March 27, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official primary candidate list," accessed March 13, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official 2012 Primary election results," accessed March 13, 2014
- "Follow the Money," "Bloom, Richard," accessed September 14, 2013
Ricardo Lara (D)
|California State Assembly District 50
| Succeeded by|