Texas State House, District 11
- Pharm. D. degree in Clinical Pharmacy from the University of Tennessee, College of Pharmacy
- Undergraduate degree from Texas Southern University
- Pharmacist, present
- Seventeen years in Oncology Pharmaceutical Sales as a Regional Territory and District Manager
- Nine years in Pharmaceutical Sales training, consultation & recruitment
- Five years as an Assistant Professor of Clinical Pharmacy
- Four years in Hospital Pharmacy Management
- Two years of University Administration as Interim Vice President of Institutional Advancement & Development
- Two years as HUD-HBCU Program Manager
- Many years as a local, state, national and international presenter
Hackney's campaign site lists his positions across a number of issues:
- Sanctity of Human Life:
- Excerpt: "We need to do all we can to defend the rights of unborn children.
- My stand on capital punishment is - I cannot support the death penalty due to our own falability. Our justice system is excellent, however it is still carried out by humans and all humans are prone to mistakes."
- Border Security/Immigration
- Excerpt: "Texas is on the front line of the illegal immigration issue. Washington has failed us and now more than ever people are looking to state governments to address the problem. I will work with federal, state and local governments to secure our borders and enforce immigration policies that respect those who follow the legal processes of joining our national citizenry rather than reward those who do not."
- Excerpt: "The money you have earned belongs to you. Providing tax cuts for small businesses are the lifeblood of our economy. "
- Fiscal Discipline
- Excerpt: "Budget discipline has been abandoned by many in Congress as well as previous Presidential Administrations. As a result, a projected $5.6 trillion 10-year surplus at the end of the Clinton years was turned into a $9 trillion projected deficit by 2019...Nearly half of our nation’s record debt is owned by foreign countries and more than 80 percent of every dollar of new debt is bought by foreign investor. We must return to the basic practice of disciplined fiscal management."
- Small Businesses
- Excerpt:"During these difficult economic times it is more critical than ever to protect District 11’s small businesses and to continue providing them with opportunities to expand and create new jobs. I am a small business owner myself, and I can relate to the challenges other business owners deal with on a daily basis. Governments at all levels need to work with small business owners to find solutions to the challenges facing District 11 and find new ways to expand economic growth here in our area."
- Excerpt:"As a Navy veteran, I understand the issues many American veterans are facing. Whether they served in Vietnam or are returning from Afghanistan, we need to support our vets just as they have supported and protected us...Last year, I was proud to see Congress pass the largest increase in funding in the Department of Veterans Affairs 77 year history. This much needed increase will add 1,800 new claims processors to address the 400,000 benefit claims backlog. I support legislation to improve care for women, rural, and disabled veterans, and increase funding for traumatic brain injury and post traumatic stress disorder. I believe that it is crucial to ensure our veterans always have access to healthcare education, and other benefits that they were promised."
- Transparency and Accountability
- Excerpt:"What we need in our government is a greater commitment to transparency and accountability. If elected, I will rely on all members of the community to provide ideas for job creation and economic growth that I will take back to Austin. I will work to strengthen ethics rules that ensure lawmakers act in the public interest."
- Gun Rights
- Excerpt:"I am a lifelong hunter who supports every Americans’ right to keep and bear arms. I will always defend our rights and oppose any attempt to place burdensome regulations on law-abiding citizens. Also, I will work to make sure that we are held responsible for our actions."
- Excerpt:"The global economy of the 21st century demands that our students receive the highest quality education as possible. I am committed to helping more children receive the strong educational foundation that they need from pre-school through college...We must utilize our Jr. Colleges to train and re-train adults and students that will continue to reside in District11. Technical and Vocational programs and schools need to be established in District 11 for the non-college students."
- Healthcare Reform
- Excerpt:"The current healthcare system is not a system that works efficiently. We can not continue to accept it as one that works for all Americans. I will work to assure that all uninsured and prior conditions are covered. Insurance companies can longer run the healthcare system. Healthcare professionals must be held accountable for doing what they were trained and licensed to do. I will work to help implement healthcare reform."
Political Courage Test
Hackney provided answers to the 2010 Political Courage Test on the subjects of:
- Abortion and reproductive issues
- Budget, spending and tax issues
- Campaign finance and government reform issues
- Crime and public safety issues
- Economic issues
- Education issues
- Environment and energy issues
- Gun issues
- Health issues
- Social issues
The full test can be accessed here.
Hackney ran for election to the 11th District seat in 2010. He had no opposition in the March 2nd primary. He was defeated by Republican incumbent Chuck Hopson in the general election on November 2, 2010.
| Texas House of Representatives, District 11 |
2010 General election results
|Chuck Hopson (R)||27,074||75.81%|
|Richard Hackney (D)||8,635||24.18%|
In the last fundraising period, Hackney has raised $6,130.
- Married 45 years to Theresa Hackney
- Father of two daughters and grandfather of eight grandchildren
Community Service & Involvement
- Member of the Long-Term Planning Committee of Bullard ISD
- Member of the Cherokee County Historical Commission
- Guest writer for the Jacksonville Daily Progress
- Member of Corinth Missionary Baptist Church in Bullard where he serves as Evangelism Ministry Leader, Men’s Assistant Sunday School Teacher, Chairman of the Family Life Center Planning Committee and member of the Deacon Board
- Past Delegate, Republican State Convention
P.O. Box 849 Bullard, Texas 75757
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Site
- Political Courage Test
- Facebook page
- Official Campaign Contributions
- Contributions, Follow the Money
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Texas Tribune Profile
- Imagine Election Profile