Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Former candidate for|
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 37|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
Lerner's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "Eliminate wasteful spending, such as our corrections system with the highest per inmate cost of all 50 states and sentencing 30% longer than surrounding states. Empower our judges to determine the appropriate sentence in each case. That's their job, let them do it."
- Excerpt: "Work toward a 100-day Legislature by completing the budget process no later than May of each year. This would help our local government, schools and other state funded entities, whose fiscal years begin July 1, to better prepare their budgets and plan their operations."
- Excerpt: "The School foundation payment should be cut in stone after it is determined, and never reduced after the start of the school year. Stop raiding the school fund when the lottery income comes in above forecast. If the lottery hands the schools a windfall, then let them keep their windfall instead of using it to patch holes left in the general fund by legislators who kicked the can down the road."
- Excerpt: "Make health insurance premiums tax deductible for small business, helping to put them on an even footing with big business. Make health insurance premiums tax deductible for individuals. Most if not all of us are resigned to never being able to reduce the cost of healthcare insurance. But government can make it just a little bit more affordable for everyone by reducing the total cost through tax-deductions."
- Excerpt: "Require that any proposed legislation be made public 72 hours before it can be voted on. No one should be able to sneak through legislation in the middle of the night. Transparency and thorough vetting by a concerned citizenship is far more likely to result in good legislation than partisan and heavy handed legislation hurriedly passed."
Elections for the office of Michigan House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 5, 2014, and a general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 22, 2014. Christine Greig defeated Barry Brickner and Theresa Rich in the Democratic primary. Richard Lerner defeated Julie Grippo in the Republican primary. Greig defeated Lerner in the general election.
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 37 Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 37 Republican Primary, 2014|
In 2014, Lerner's endorsements included the following:
- Mayor Bill Galvin
- Former Mayor Tom Buck
- Former Mayor Nancy Bates
- Former Mayor Bill Hartsock
- Former Mayor, Current Councilmember Valerie Knol
- Former Mayor Pro-Tem & Current Councilmember Richard Lerner (of course!)
- Former Mayor Pro-Tem & Current Councilmember Ken Massey
- Former Mayor John Richardson
- Former Mayor Don Winguard
- Oakland County Commissioner & Former Chief of Police Bill Dwyer
- Farmington Observer
- Detroit Free Press
- The Detroit News
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Richard + Lerner + Michigan + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Michigan House of Representatives
- Michigan House of Representatives District 37
- Michigan House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Michigan State Legislature
- Official campaign website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Profile from Vote-USA
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," accessed May 27, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan General Candidate Listing," accessed September 8, 2014
- richardlerner.net, "Issues," accessed July 29, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "Representative in State Legislature," accessed August 6, 2014
- richardlerner.net, "Endorsements," accessed July 29, 2014
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Michigan Supreme Court | Supreme Court Elections | Court of Appeals | First Circuit Court of Appeals | Second Circuit Court of Appeals | Third Circuit Court of Appeals | Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals | List of Michigan Circuit Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |