|California State Senate District 31|
|December 3, 2012-present|
|December 5, 2016|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Term limits||12 years|
|High school||Ada High School (1968)|
|Bachelor's||Miami University (1972)|
|J.D.||Emory University School of Law (1974)|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||1975-2007|
|Place of birth||Columbus, Ohio|
|Profession||Attorney/Small business owner|
Roth earned his bachelor's degree in Political Science from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, in 1972and his J.D. from Emory University in 1974. He entered the Air Force in 1975, becoming a reservist in 1979. His professional experience includes working as an attorney/small business owner. Roth retired in 2007 with the rank of Major General, and awards including the Distinguished Service Medal, the Legion of Merit, the Meritorious Service Medal and the Air Force Commendation Medal.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Roth served on the following committees:
|California Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Banking and Financial Institutions|
|• Budget and Fiscal Review|
|• Legislative Ethics, Chair|
|• Transportation and Housing|
|• Veterans Affairs|
|• Emergency Management|
|• Legislative Budget|
"A career in the Air Force taught me public service is about working together. I believe it’s time to end the partisan games and start delivering for Riverside County. I’ve lived in Riverside for 33 years, working in both the public and private sectors. As a local business owner, past chairman of Greater Riverside Chambers of Commerce and past President of the Monday Morning Group, I understand the challenges we face and have a concrete jobs plan that includes job training for veterans, attracting new startups, a medical school for UCR and protecting our schools and colleges."
- See also: California State Senate elections, 2012
Roth won the 2012 election for California State Senate District 31. He and Jeff Miller (R) advanced past the blanket primary on June 5, 2012, defeating Steve Clute (D). Roth was victorious in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|California State Senate, District 31, General Election, 2012|
|California State Senate, District 31 Blanket Primary, 2012|
In a cross-party endorsement, defeated Democratic candidate Steve Clute endorsed Republican candidate Jeff Miller over his Democratic opponent Roth in the general election to decide the District 31 seat. In the endorsement Clute said, "Although our party of preference means ideologically we may not agree on every issue, one thing I know is Jeff Miller will stand up for Riverside County. Voters can trust that Miller will stand up for us when it comes to ending government waste; funding our local schools and most importantly getting our local businesses growing again. In these difficult times, supporting the best candidate is more important than party preference."
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
Roth is married to his wife, Cindy.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Richard + Roth + California + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- RIVERSIDE: School boards group recognizes Roth - Press-Enterprise
- State Senate panel reviews ethics, campaign laws - Los Angeles Times
- California Senate panel to come up with new ethics, campaign laws - Los Angeles Times
- Debate Continues Over Calif. Law To Expand Role of Pharmacists - California Healthline
- Calif. lawmaker convicted of voter fraud, perjury - San Francisco Chronicle
- State Legislative Tracker: California senator convicted - Ballot News
- The Hypocrisy of Human Rights Watch - Center for Research on Globalization
- Senate ethics chief calls allegations against Sen. Calderon troubling - Los Angeles Times
- 2013: My Top Stories - CounterPunch
- Asteroid miners sign K Street help - Politico
- [Bio submission to Ballotpedia, May 14, 2012]
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- California Secretary of State, Official candidate list
- California Secretary of State - Official 2012 Primary Results
- Sacramento Bee "Democrat Clute endorses GOP candidate in targeted Senate seat" Accessed September 7, 2012
Robert Dutton (R)
|California State Senate District 31
| Succeeded by|