Richmond County, Georgia
Following an election in 1995, the city of Augusta (the county seat) consolidated governments with Richmond County. The consolidated entity is known as Augusta-Richmond County, or simply Augusta. The cities of Hephzibah and Blythe in southern Richmond County voted to remain separate and not consolidate.
Evaluation of website
- Main article: Evaluation of Georgia county websites
This site was last evaluated Jan. 31, 2013.
- Budgets are available from 2006 up to the present.
- Elected Officials
- Commissioners' contact information is listed. 
- Administrative contacts are available. 
- Annual financial audits are posted.
- Audits are archived to 2003.
- Public Records
- Information on membership fees to government sector lobbying association, or is information provided on contracts with other lobbying entities.
Augusta-Richmond County, Georgia operates under a Mayor / Commission / Administrator form of government. The Mayor is the Chief Executive of Augusta-Richmond County, Georgia. The Mayor is elected on a county-wide basis by the electors of the entire county in a non-partisan general election. Each mayor serves a four-year term and is eligible to serve two consecutive four-year terms.
The Mayor possesses and exercises the following executive and administrative powers and duties:
- Presiding at all meetings of the Commission
- Serving as the official head of Richmond County and the City of Augusta for the service of process and for ceremonial purposes
- Administering oaths and to take affidavits
- Signing all written contracts entered into by the Commission on behalf of Richmond County Georgia and the City of Augusta and other contracts and instruments executed by the county and city which by law are required to be in writing
- Ensuring that all laws, ordinances, and resolutions of Richmond County and the City of Augusta are faithfully executed
- Exercising such other powers and perform such other duties as may be required by ordinance or resolution of the Commission.
The Administrator presides over the daily operation and administration of the local government within the guidelines of Augusta-Richmond County ordinances, policies, and procedures; state and federal laws; and implements directives from the Mayor and Augusta-Richmond County Commission. The Administrator reports to the Mayor and Augusta-Richmond County Commission.
- Executes all lawful orders, directions, instructions, ordinances, resolutions, and regulations adopted by the Augusta-Richmond County Commission
- Manages and directs the activities of all departments by planning, organizing, staffing, directing, and controlling the staff and other resources
- Advises Mayor and Augusta-Richmond County Commission on financial conditions and future needs of local government; makes recommendation on county affairs; informs Mayor of significant controversial issues involving government, its services, policies and employees
- Prepares, submits, and executes a proposed annual budget
- Provides necessary documentation for the Mayor and Clerk of Commission to prepare the agenda for all Commission meetings and attends all Commission meetings
| 2011 |
|Personal Services & Employee Benefits||$40,085,208||$39,856,620||$42,391,955|
The new policy was drafted by Interim General Counsel Andrew MacKenzie and gives discretion to department heads to handle requests on their own, asking them to seek legal advice only when they believe it is appropriate. The new policy overturns the former General Counsel Chiquita Johnson who'd enforced the measure. Johnson's tenure as chief legal adviser ended in January with a forced resignation over several performance issues.
- Augusta - Richmond County website
- Richmond County School System
- Augusta - Richmond County on E-Reference
- Augusta Public Library
- Richmond County on Georgia.gov
- Richmond County Free Public Records Directory
- ↑ Budgets
- ↑ Augusta-Richmond County Commission
- ↑ Agenda Book
- ↑ Meetings
- ↑ Administrator's Office
- ↑ Planning and Zoning Division
- ↑ Permit Information
- ↑ Financial Statements
- ↑ Tax Commissioner
- ↑ Tax Bill Search Instructions
- ↑ Understanding Your Tax Bill
- ↑ Procurement
- ↑ Bid Listing Reports
- ↑ Public Records
- ↑ Affiliations
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 About the Mayor
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 County Administrator
- ↑ Tax Commissioner
- ↑ Augusta Chronicle, Augusta alters records request policy, April 30, 2010