Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, New Mexico, District 3|
Newton has worked as a small-businessman and management consultant.
According to his website, Newton's campaign platforms included the following issues:
- "Fair Tax" national sales tax replacing income taxes
- Energy independence and alternative fuels
- Charter schools and teacher merit rewards
While Newton and Byrd agreed on many issues, Byrd supports Social Security privatization while Newton called for using proceeds from oil drilling on federal lands to pay for the program. Newton wanted a national sales tax, in contrast to Byrd's preference for a flat income tax rate.
|New Mexico's 3rd Congressional District Republican Primary, 2012|
- Associated Press, "New Mexico - Summary Vote Results," June 6, 2012
- Rick Newton campaign website, "Jobs," accessed May 26, 2012
- Rick Newton campaign website, "Issues," accessed May 26, 2012
- Santa Fe New Mexican, "2 vie to be oft-ignored GOP pick for 3rd House district," May 22, 2012
- Albuquerque Journal, "3rd Dist. Rivals Differ On Taxes," May 31, 2012
- New Mexico Secretary of State "2012 Primary Results"