Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|New Jersey Senate District 25|
|High school||Healdsburg High|
|Profession||Retired business owner|
Thoeni is a retired sales manager and business owner in the IT consulting and staffing fields. Thoeni serves as Vice Chairman of the Denville Democratic Committee and as an elected member of the Morris County Democratic Committee.
Thoeni graduated cum laude from Marywood University with a Bachelor of Science in Business.
- See also: New Jersey State Senate elections, 2011
Thoeni was defeated in the 2011 election for New Jersey Senate District 25. He ran unopposed in the primary on June 7, 2011. Thoeni was defeated by Republican incumbent Anthony Bucco in the general election which took place on November 8, 2011.
|New Jersey State Senate District 25 General Election, 2011|
|Republican||Anthony Bucco Incumbent||61%||19,228|
Thoeni lists these topics as Issues on his website:
- Social safety nets - "There is no question that these are difficult financial times for the nation, our state, the counties and our towns. In spite of these difficulties I believe it is absolutely essential that the most vulnerable members of our communities be given the ability to maintain their physical and mental health, feed their families and be allowed to live their lives in a dignified manner. Seniors need to be assured that they will have property tax relief that will enable them to stay in their homes."
- Public School education - "I believe that high quality public schools are the best investment we can make for our future. Indeed, they are the bedrock of our society and must be protected and perfected at all cost. A solid education insures that our children will become productive members of society, our well educated workforce is one of the primary reasons employers choose to locate in New Jersey. I believe that teachers are today’s heroes, working many overtime hours without extra compensation, and spending their own money for the benefit of their students. By a wide margin, teachers are the ones mentioned most frequently when asked the question, “Who has inspired you?” I believe teachers and the organizations representing them have a right to be treated respectfully by the legislature and that school districts have an absolute obligation to negotiate with them in a fiscally responsible manner."
- Budget and Fiscal issues - "In difficult times many think only of reducing spending. Indeed, there are many programs that an abundantly wealthy society may want to have that are out of reach to those in a fiscal crisis. However, there are numerous ways in which we can exercise fiscal responsibility.
One of the most significant of these is shared services. Sharing police forces, public works departments, administration and other municipal services will result in immediate savings. Working hard to eliminate fraud and waste and to ensure that the laws already in place are stringently enforced will also result in huge savings. Of course, in addition to reducing spending enhancing revenue will enable New Jersey to be fiscally responsible and appropriately compassionate. Shared Sacrifice is a term that has been bandied about but not really implemented.
The bulk of the sacrifice has been the burden of the overwhelmed middle class as the very wealthy are paying less tax than at any time in recent history. Implementing additional taxation on the very wealthiest citizens of our state, a position many of the wealthy support as responsible, will immediately lessen the impact of the current fiscal challenge."
Thoeni was endorsed by:
Rick and his wife of 37 years, Suzanne, live in Denville, NJ. They have two sons, Parker, an attorney in Washington, DC, and Max, a group benefits insurance specialist in Philadelphia, PA.
District 25 covers Morris county: Boonton, Boonton Township, Denville, Dover (Morris), Jefferson, Mendham Township, Mine Hill, Morris, Morristown, Mount Arlington, Mountain Lakes, Randolph, Rockaway, Rockaway Township, Roxbury, Victory Gardens, and Wharton.
- Thoeni for Senate
- Rick Thoeni on Facebook
- Rick Thoeni on Twitter
- Project Vote Smart biography of Rick Thoeni