|Iowa State Senate District 49|
|January 14, 2013 - Present|
|January 13, 2019|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 6, 2018|
|Bachelor's||University of Northern Iowa|
|Master's||University of Iowa|
Hart earned her B.S. from the University of Northern Iowa and her M.S. in Educational Administration. Her professional experience includes working as a teacher and a farmer.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Hart served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Economic Growth, Chair|
|• Local Government|
|• Veterans Affairs|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Hart served on the following committees:
|Iowa Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Economic Growth/Rebuild Iowa|
|• Local Government|
|• Veterans Affairs|
Hart's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
|“||As a state senator, Hart continues to work to improve our local economy, support workforce development, and attract good paying jobs to improve Iowans' quality of life.||”|
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Iowa State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Incumbent Rita Hart was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Brian Schmidt was unopposed in the Republican primary. Hart faced Schmidt in the general election. Incumbent Hart defeated Schmidt in the general election.
|Iowa State Senate, District 49 General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Rita Hart Incumbent||51.9%||11,690|
- See also: Iowa State Senate elections, 2012
Hart ran in the 2012 election for Iowa State Senate District 49. Hart defeated Dorothy O'Brien in the Democratic primary on June 5, 2012. Hart defeated Andrew Naeve (R) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Iowa State Senate, District 49, General Election, 2012|
|Iowa State Senate, District 49 Democratic Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for Hart is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Hart raised a total of $387,409 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 19, 2013.
|Rita Hart's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Iowa State Senate, District 49||$387,409|
|Grand Total Raised||$387,409|
2012Hart won election to the Iowa State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Hart raised a total of $387,409.
|Iowa State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Rita Hart's campaign in 2012|
|Iowa Senate Majority Fund||$289,921|
|Iowa Democratic Party||$21,017|
|Food & Commercial Workers District 431||$10,000|
|Quad City Federation of Labor||$5,000|
|Laborers Local 309||$5,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$387,409|
|Source: Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
Rita and her husband, Paul, have five children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Rita + Hart + Iowa + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Profile from the Iowa State Senate
- Official campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Rita Hart on Facebook
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- ritahart.org, "Official Campaign Website," accessed April 8, 2014
- ritahart.org, "About Rita," accessed September 25, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 30, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed July 7, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official general election results," accessed December 1, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," accessed October 1, 2014
- Iowa Department of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidates," accessed April 17, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "Hart, Rita," accessed September 19, 2013
Hubert Houser (R)
|Iowa State Senate District 49
| Succeeded by|