|Former candidate for|
|Texas State Senate, District 17|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
Lucido's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "Texas cannot prosper with an under-educated workforce. We must fully fund our public education system to ensure that every Texas public school student receives a high quality education so that they are ready and able to contribute to their own, and the state’s future economic success."
- Excerpt: "Texas is facing a transportation crisis. A shortfall in funding is looming, which, if not addressed, will result in increased congestion, traffic delays, accidents, increased costs for vehicle repairs and higher costs of goods. Poor roads and highways cost the Texas economy an estimated $10.8 billion per year."
- Excerpt: "Texas has the highest rate (25%) of uninsured residents in the United States. The problem is even worse in Harris County with a third of all residents uninsured. Investing in human capital by ensuring a healthy workforce is good for Texas’ economy. Children cannot learn and adults cannot work when they are in poor health. It makes sense to promote the health and well-being of all Texans."
- See also: Texas State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for 15 of the 31 seats in the Texas State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on March 4, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in these elections was December 9, 2013. Rita Lucido was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while incumbent Joan Huffman defeated Derek Anthony in the Republican primary. George Hardy was running as a Libertarian candidate, and David Courtney was running as a Green Party candidate. Phil Kurtz filed but did not advance past the Libertarian convention. Huffman defeated Lucido, Hardy and Courtney in the 2014 general election.
In 2014, Lucido's endorsements included the following:
- State Representative Dawnna Dukes
- Council Member Ellen Cohen
- Commissioner Richard Morrison
- Chairman Donald Bankston
- Hon. Chris Bell
- Hon. Melissa Noriega
- Communication Workers of America No. 6222
- Democracy for America
- Democracy for Houston
- Harris County AFL-CIO Council
- Harris County Council of Organizations
- Houston Federation of Teachers COPE
- Houston GLBT Political Caucus
- National Association of Social Workers - Texas
- Plumbers Local Union No. 68
- Teamsters Local 988
- Transport Workers Union Local 260
- Harris County Tejano Democrats
- Ken Arnold
- Ruth Arnold
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Rita + Lucido + Texas + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Texas State Legislature
- Texas state legislative districts
- Texas State Senate
- Texas State Senate elections, 2014
- Official campaign website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Rita Lucido on Facebook
- Rita Lucido on Twitter
- Texas Secretary of State, "1992 - Current ELECTION HISTORY," accessed December 2, 2014
- ritalucido.com, "Issues," accessed August 14, 2014
- Green Party of Texas, "Greens Release Candidate List," accessed July 26, 2014
- The Libertarian Party of Texas, "2014 Texas Senate Candidates List," accessed July 26, 2014
- Texas Tribune, "Election Brackets," accessed May 5, 2014
- ritalucido.com, "Endorsements," accessed August 14, 2014