|Board member, Ferguson-Florissant School Board, At-large|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||April 8, 2014|
|First elected||April 5, 2011|
Robert Chabot is an incumbent member of the Ferguson-Florissant School District Board of Education. He was first elected to the position in 2011.
Robert Chabot was opposed by incumbent Paul T. Morris and challengers Kimberly Benz, F. Willis Johnson Jr., Donna Paulette-Thurman, James Savala, Larry Thomas and LaWanda Wallace for three at-large seats in the general election on April 8, 2014.
|Ferguson-Florissant School District, At-Large General Election, 3-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Robert Chabot Incumbent||18%||2,898|
|Nonpartisan||Paul T. Morris Incumbent||15.6%||2,516|
|Nonpartisan||F. Willis Johnson Jr.||13.2%||2,118|
|Source: St. Louis County Election Board, "Summary Report," April 18, 2014|
Chabot did not report any campaign contributions or expenditures to the Missouri Ethics Commission.
Chabot did not receive any official endorsements for his campaign.
|Ferguson-Florissant School District, At-Large General Election, 3-year term, 2011|
|Nonpartisan||Paul T. Morris||14.3%||3,305|
|Nonpartisan||Doris Ann Graham Incumbent||12.1%||2,795|
|Nonpartisan||Brian Scott Ebert||11.5%||2,667|
|Nonpartisan||James H. Clark Incumbent||9.7%||2,257|
|Nonpartisan||Les D. Lentz Incumbent||4.4%||1,027|
|Source: St. Louis County Election Board, "Summary Report," April 18, 2011|
What was at stake?
Issues in the election
Suspension of superintendent
On November 6, 2013, the Ferguson-Florissant Board of Education voted 6-1 to place Superintendent Art McCoy on suspension with pay, citing "differences in focus and philosophy" as the stated reason. Board member Paul Schroeder was the only dissenting voter. Board of Education President Paul Morris stated the board's action were not an indication of wrongdoing on McCoy's part. On the following Friday, a press conference was held where over 60 supporters called for the Superintendent to be re-instated. At a board meeting later in November, 1,500 community members demonstrated to show their support for Superintendent McCoy. A closed hearing date has been set for February 24, 2014 to determine whether there is cause to terminate McCoy's contract. McCoy is a black Superintendent in a district where 78% of the students are black. The Ferguson-Florissant School District Board of Education currently has no black members.
About the districtMissouri in St. Louis County. The county seat of St. Louis County is Clayton. St. Louis County is home to 1,001,444 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau. In the 2011-2012 school year, Ferguson-Florissant School District was the 16th-largest school district in Missouri and served 12,070 students.
St. Louis County outperformed the rest of Missouri in terms of higher education achievement in 2013. The United States Census Bureau found that 40.6 percent of St. Louis County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.2 percent for Missouri as a whole. The median household income in St. Louis County was $58,910 compared to $47,380 for the state of Missouri. The poverty rate in St. Louis County was 10.9 percent compared to 15.5 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin rather than a race. Citizens may report both their race and their place of origin, and as a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table may exceed 100 percent.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Robert + Chabot + Ferguson-Florissant + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Missouri Ethics Commission, "Candidate Information," accessed February 13, 2014
- Jessica Bock, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, "Suspension of Ferguson-Florissant superintendent questioned," November 9, 2013
- Rebecca Rivas, St. Louis American, "Suspended superintendent and community still waiting for explanation," November 27, 2013
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch, "Ferguson-Florissant sets hearing date for suspended superintendent," January 24, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "St. Louis County, Missouri," accessed February 3, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- Missouri Secretary of State, "Missouri Election Results," accessed January 23, 2015
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
|2014 Ferguson-Florissant School District Elections|
|St. Louis, Missouri|
|Election date:||April 8, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Kimberly Benz • Incumbent, Robert Chabot • F. Willis Johnson Jr. • Incumbent, Paul T. Morris • Donna Paulette-Thurman • James Savala • LaWanda Wallace • Larry Thomas|
|Important information:||What was at stake? • Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|