|West Virginia State Senate, District 11|
|December 12, 2014 - present|
|November 31, 2018|
|Years in position||0|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Poca High School, 1987|
|Place of birth||Nitro, West Virginia|
|Profession||Small Business Owner|
Karnes' professional experience includes working as a life guard, construction, satellite communications technician, database programmer, field engineer and network engineer. Since 2004, Karnes has operated a small communications business that provides field support and network services. He is also a private pilot.
Karnes' website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "Parents, teachers and local school boards need more flexibility to shape the education of their children. It is silly to think a bureaucrat and a union representative meeting behind closed doors in Charleston to formulate “policy” care more for our kids than the parents who changed the diapers and baited the hooks or the teachers who have spent years in the classroom providing individualized attention to the children entrusted to them."
- "Lower taxes and simplify both the corporate and personal tax codes."
- "Eliminate sales tax on food. (I also oppose imposing sales tax on air and water.)"
- "Help small businesses get established and grow by exempting the first $100,000 in profit from corporate taxes. Small businesses are West Virginia’s and the nation’s primary job creators. We need to recognize this fact and reward them. Currently we tax them heavily so we can give Amazon.com a tax cut."
- Excerpt: "I am a firm supporter of the 2nd amendment. I support concealed carry laws that reduce the burden on law abiding citizens exercising their 2nd amendment rights. I oppose any form of monthly gun “allowance” that would hinder our right to purchase firearms."
- Excerpt: "I am a strong pro-life advocate. I believe Roe v Wade to be wholly without constitutional foundation. At the state level we need to ensure that public funding is never used to pay for abortion services. We should also help young mothers by making life the easy choice and by streamlining adoption procedures. I support the PersonHood movement’s efforts to extend 14th amendment protections to the unborn."
- Excerpt: "Focusing on educational basics instead of social engineering means not undermining the authority of parents or denigrating their religious beliefs. I support the ParentalRights Amendment."
- Excerpt: "At present taxes and regulatory barricades make it easier for companies to send the jobs out of state. We need to review both tax and regulatory structures to figure out how we can encourage the creation of more of these jobs right here in West Virginia."
Elections for the office of West Virginia State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on May 13, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was January 25, 2014. Incumbent Gregory A. Tucker was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Steve Foster was defeated by Robert L. Karnes in the Republican primary. Karnes defeated Tucker in the general election.
|West Virginia State Senate District 11, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Robert L. Karnes||55.6%||15,171|
|Democratic||Gregory A. Tucker Incumbent||44.4%||12,122|
|West Virginia State Senate, District 11 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Robert L. Karnes||53.1%||3,327|
Karnes ran in the 2012 election for West Virginia House of Delegates, District 44. Karnes defeated Duane Borchers, Sr. in the May 8 primary election and was defeated by Dana L. Lynch in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|West Virginia House of Delegates, District 44, General Election, 2012|
|West Virginia House of Delegates, District 44 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Duane Borchers, Sr.||41.3%||341|
In 2012, Karnes was endorsed by the following:
- National Rifle Association (NRA)
- National Federation of Independent Business
- West Virginians for Life
- Sue Blake Andersen
- FARM PAC
- John Sandy
- Patriot Coal
- West Virginia Family Foundation
- Tim Woody
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Robert + Karnes + West + Virginia + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- West Virginia State Legislature
- West Virginia state legislative districts
- West Virginia State Senate
- West Virginia State Senate elections, 2014
- West Virginia Legislature, "Kent Leonhardt and Robert Karnes Sworn Into Senate," December 12, 2014
- The Intern Mountain, "Karnes announces candidacy for 11th Senatorial district," January 25, 2014
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed March 13, 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Official primary candidate list," accessed February 7, 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 18, 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Statewide Results," accessed June 18, 2014
- WBOY.com, "West Virginia General Election Results November 6, 2012" accessed November 7, 2012
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Statewide Results - General Election - November 6, 2012," accessed February 12, 2014
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Statewide Results - Primary Election - May 8, 2012," accessed February 12, 2014
- karnesfordelegate.com, "Endorsements" (timed out)