|U.S. House, New Jersey, District 1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|J.D.||Stanford University, 1989|
|Ph.D.||Harvard University, 1984|
|Profession||Attorney and educator|
Shapiro holds a Ph.D. in American History from Harvard University, which he earned in 1984. He also received a J.D. from Stanford University in 1989. Shapiro has worked as a district attorney in Kings County, New York and is a practicing attorney.
Shapiro listed the following themes on his campaign website:
- Art and culture
- Excerpt: "The U.S. government, must foster our nation's culture. American taxpayers can protect accessibility and freedom of expression by supporting arts and culture with their tax dollars."
- Excerpt: "I believe that sustainable and organic farming is good for New Jersey farmers and good for the nutrition of the nation."
- Excerpt: "The big banks and Wall Street investment firms were not held liable for the damage they did, but were rewarded with loans and bailouts. Justice Department and the S.E.C. must investigate and prosecute the individuals who engaged in illegal activities which broke the economy."
- Excerpt: "We have to close the tax loopholes so that corporations and individuals pay their fair share. Corporations should be liable for the statutory corporate tax of 35% and the tax code should discourage corporations from sending jobs overseas."
- Excerpt: "We need to strengthen our borders and enact stricter laws against recruiting, hiring, and exploiting undocumented workers. Illegal immigrants should not be rewarded for breaking our laws, but those undocumented workers who have been working, paying taxes, and have been productive members of our society, should not be deported, but they should be penalized for breaking our immigration laws and should be forced to wait twice the amount of time to become citizens."
- Excerpt: "In an electronic age where much of our personal information is stored in numerous databases, we need new laws to prevent the networking of these databases to prevent public disclosure of privately stored personal information."
- Gun control
- Excerpt: "I will introduce legislation to limit the amount ammunition which individuals can purchase and restrict ownership of automatic weapons."
- Excerpt: "I firmly oppose all efforts to privatize Social Security and is working on new proposals to ensure the solvency of Social Security for the next generation without raising the retirement age or affecting benefit levels for current recipients."
- Excerpt: "The Affordable Care Act has to be reformed...I would allow the sale of health insurance across state lines...I would support legislation that would allow any legal resident of the United States to buy into Medicare at cost, with pre-tax dollars."
- Term limits
- Excerpt: "I support term limits for members of both Houses of Congress and a lifetime ban on members of Congress from becoming paid lobbyists."
Shapiro's campaign website explained his reason for running for New Jersey Senate:
- "Robert Shapiro’s candidacy is based upon the belief that even though the highest priority should be given to getting the American economy back on track, the rights and benefits of senior citizens, veterans, public servants, and students should not be jeopardized."
- See also: New Jersey State Senate elections, 2013
Shapiro ran in the 2013 election for New Jersey State Senate District 6. Shapiro was defeated by Sudhir Deshmukh in the June 4 Republican primary. The general election took place on November 5, 2013.
|New Jersey State Senate District 6 Republican Primary, 2013|
Shapiro ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent New Jersey's 3rd District. Shapiro ran as an Independent. He faced Shelley Adler, Jon Runyan, Robert Edward Forchion, Frederick John Lavergne, Christopher Dennick, Jr. and Robert Witterschein in the general election on November 6.
|U.S. House, New Jersey District 3 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Jon Runyan Incumbent||53.7%||174,253|
|No Slogan||Christopher Dennick, Jr.||0.1%||280|
|Legalize Marijuana||Robert Edward Forchion||0.6%||1,965|
|No Slogan||Frederick John Lavergne||0.2%||770|
|Bob's for Jobs||Robert Shapiro||0.3%||1,104|
|None of Them||Robert Witterschein||0.2%||530|
|Source: New Jersey Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
Shapiro currently resides in Cherry Hill, New Jersey.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Robert + Shapiro + New Jersey + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- New Jersey's 1st Congressional District elections, 2014
- New Jersey's 1st Congressional District
- Official campaign website - Congress
- Official campaign website - State legislature (Archived)
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- New Jersey Division of Elections, "General election candidates for U.S. House," accessed August 13, 2014
- New Jersey Department of State, "Official 2013 Primary Candidates," accessed April 15, 2013
- Information submitted through Ballotpedia's biographical submission form on October 2, 2014
- Shapiro 4 Congress, "Issues," accessed October 6, 2014
- Shapiro for New Jersey Legislature, "Home," accessed May 10, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, "Official Primary Election Results," accessed July 26, 2013